Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 19:07:34 -0700

The following are comments directly from our manufacturer of rice
cakes...

*****************************

We use a continuous production process.  This means that only one
variety or flavour is being made at any given time.  Therefore the
possibility of cross contamination is virtually eliminated.

2)  In the manufacture of Lifestream rice cakes, only the following
grains and seeds are used:  sesame seeds, buckwheat and millet.  To our
knowledge, these seeds and grains are all gluten free.  If you have
information to
the contrary, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.  We have
discontinued the use of barley in our non-organic Multigrain Rice Cakes.

3)  To further ensure that there are no cross contamination problems,
our production protocols call for either a complete shut down of all our
production machinery, and the vacuuming out and cleaning of hoppers and
machinery (as in the case when we switch from the production of a non-
organic rice cake to an organic rice cake) or to the use of "buffer
zones" where runs of rice cakes containing, for example, sesame seeds or
grains are separated by a run of "rice only" rice cakes.

We fully understand and appreciate the issues involved with those on a
gluten free diet.

I hope that the above has answered your query.  Please feel free to
contact us directly at anytime regarding any further questions or
concerns you may have.

Regards,

Bob Takagaki
Van Rice Products Ltd.