Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 10:34:26 -0400

Celiac/Coeliac Wheat/Gluten-Free List Phyllis Chinn [log in to unmask]
Following is my summery of information received from the group on mixes
from catalogs:

I have had Celiac for over 10 years and it wasn't until recently that I
found some baking mixes that I really like.  I live in British Columbia,
Canada and we have products in our health food store made by Mona's.
The bread mixes are 'to die for'!!!  I feel almost spoiled now.  Only
problem is that I'm eating so many sandwiches, I'm worried about gaining
weight.  I never thought I'd be able to say that.

The one that's best for sandwiches ( I mean REAL SANDWICHES, that you can
actually put stuff between two pieces and it doesn't fall apart ) is the
Cinco Breggo Mix.  The French mix is great too.  We usually bake them (the
mix makes two) have one with dinner and put the other in the freezer to use
as garlic cheese bread or in soups.  It was the first one of their mixes I
tried and I was amazed with it.  I just placed an order and they are giving
a free bread mix with all orders as a special.

They have an internet store, which is how I'm buying it now, as it's
actually cheaper to get it delivered:)  The address is www.madebymona.com If
you go to the link on the top left that says homepage, it takes you to their
website which is pretty neat too.

---------------

The Chocolate Truffle Brownie mix from Gluten Free Pantry is really good.
I've baked that several times. It has the small chocolate chips in the
dough. It is really chocolaty. My grand kids really like it but then again
they like anything like that. Several of the stores here carry it. They
carry it out here at Healthy Approach.

-------------------------

I have tried the pizza crust mix, pound cake and yellow cake mix from 'Cause
You're Special, and they were excellent.  I made the pound cake in the mini
pound cake tins and froze them individually.  The pizza crust is very good
and is crispy and  a litttle chewy at the same time.  I used the yellow cake
mix like I used to do round layer cakes, and used the chocolate Duncan Hines
frosting and it was very good and held up very nicely.  Overall I have been
very happy with their products.  I did have some problems with an old oven
and the woman who owns the place helped my by phone figure out how to adjust
the cooking time.

-------------------------

Dietary Specialities number is 888-640-2800.  I love their Chocolate Cake
mix and Apple Bread mix.

-------------------------

Chocolate Truffle brownies from Gluten-free pantry are wonderful.

---------------

I highly recommend Miss Robens.  We use their pizza dough mix and the
versatile cookie mix (every bit as good as a tollhouse cookie).

Also, the Gluten Free Pantry  has a chocolate truffle brownie mix - To die
for, and the french bread mix.

-------------------------

Definitely try "Really Great Foods" company. They make the best cake mixes,
pancake mixes, muffin mixes etc. I promise you will love them.

-------

Cause you're Special - lemon/poppyseed muffin mix - FANTASTIC !!!!   Fooled
many people with this one.      ENJOY    Dietary Specialities is back in
business.    888-640-2800

-----------------------------------ply t

Cause You're Special - I ordered several under the supervision of the lady
who began the company.  Since I can't tolerate eggs, dairy, yeast and soy as
well as gluten,  she suggested to me certain ones.  Among them was the
muffin mix.  I added cocoa, extra flavoring (probably almond extract and a
little salt) and they were "to die for."  I used the yellow cake mix to make
a pineapple-upside-down cake and my non-celiac company raved and raved.  It
was good.  I also bought the biscuit mix and they were very good.  I just
don't know if they sell any mixes that aren't good.

Cause You're Special - I loved the cake mix and also liked the muffin mix.
Did not like the biscuit mix - of course I am from the South and really know
my biscuits! I do like this company!