Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 20:59:00 -0400
From:

Hi Listmates,

I am a biopsy-diagnosed Celiac, and I recently encouraged my parents to
have their blood tested for signs of celiac disease, based on the
genetic nature of the disease...and based on the fact that my mother has
Multiple Sclerosis.  Since they are both immune disorders, I felt she
especially should be tested.

My parent's family doctor tested them both...they were not sure of what
he was testing for, but he only drew blood from both of them.  After the
test, he asked my mother to come in for the results.

He told her that she is the "carrier" of the disease, but she has the
"recessive gene" so she "doesn't have to worry" about developing the
disease because of this.

This is a family doctor in a small town, and he wasn't too familiar with
the disease or the tests for it when my parents brought it up, so I am
not too confident in his diagnosis.  I have never heard of such a
definitive diagnosis based solely on a blood test for celiac disease.

Have any of you or your family members received such a diagnosis? Any
opinions about this 'recessive gene'?  I appreciate any light you can
shed on this!

Pam
Rochester Hills, MI