Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 17:08:27 -0500

Thank you to those who replied. Your information is very helpful. I'm
looking foward to a wonderful trip. We'll be flying with Delta Airlines
from JFK in New York. I called a last week to order a gluten free meal.
We'll see what I get. Those of you who asked me to summarize as you will be
going to Hawaii also, I hope this helps. I hope you have a great trip.

This place is pretty close to Waikiki - very wide selection of foods - stay
away from spelt labeled as safe.

Down To Earth Natural Foods
2525 S King St
Honolulu, HI 96826-3154
Phone: (808) 947-7678

Available in the Waikiki area:

Outback Steakhouse Hawaii
1765 Ala Moana Blvd
Honolulu, HI 96815-1435
Phone: (808) 951-6274

Tony Romas Famous For Ribs
1972 Kalakaua Ave
Honolulu, HI 96815-1863

We have eaten safely at these places in the Waikiki area:

We had dinner 4 times at the Beachside Cafe, including visiting celiacs from
Australia - no problems.

Sheraton Hotels & Resorts - Sheraton Moana Surfrider - Room Reservations
Honolulu, HI Phone: (808) 923-2800 Check out http://www.moana-
surfrider.com/de-beachside.htm

Antonio's Steak/Seafood/Pasta
Voted Waikiki's #1 Euro-Asian restaurant with a kiss of Italian
Hibiscus Court, 3rd Floor of the
Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center
2201 Kalakaua Avenue, A500 =95 Honolulu, HI 96815
PH (808) 922-0588 =95 FX (808) 922-0961
http://www.shopwaikiki.com/

We live on Oahu since last fall.  My husband is the celiac.  Back in April
we attended a formal Navy Ball at the Hilton Hawaiian Village.  We called
ahead and were thrilled that my husband's salad was presented to him
separately from the crowd and a waiter brought over straight olive oil and
balsamic vinegar for him.  His steak was missing the gluten-filled sauce,
and for dessert they brought him a lovely, large fruit platter while the
rest of the 300 crowd had cake.

SO, at least they demonstrated their ability to understand!

We have yet to attend a lua since moving here.  The Hilton is a great place
so you should be able to discuss with them the lua offerings.  I imagine
the pork and poi are ok.  Rice is a staple food here, though I recently had
open-heart surgery at a Honolulu hospital and their rice included wheat
flour, as did their eggs, so ASK about everything.  Most food here is also
soaked in soy or teriyaki sauce, and you will frequently have a language
barrier with the servers, many of whom are Asian and therefore have no
concept of celiac.  Make sure you bring and use your "restaurant card" - we
send it to the kitchen with our order.  You should be able to get fresh
fish easy enough, and salad, etc.

There are both a Tony Roma's and Outback Steakhouse within blocks of your
hotel.

I spent a week on Maui in Feb, and didn't have any troubles until our last
day.  I ate some local food in Kahului in a tiny diner, including an
eggplant pancake that was absolutely delicious, and should have been safe
(the lady was very helpful), but apparently was not.

We stayed at the Maui Prince (two hotels farther down than the Four Seasons
- which is a LOVELY hotel).  Kahlua pig and lomi lomi salmon both proved ok
for me.  Try the Hawaiian Plate at Da Kitchen in Kihei in the Rainbow Mall.
We also had an awesome Japanese dinner in the Japanese restaurant in our
hotel.  It was a set seven-course dinner for a good-sized group, but they
found substitutes for the tempura and teriyaki steak courses for me.  It
was out of this world, if you like sushi and Japanese food.  Even the
Japanese visitors in the group were impressed.  Another good meal (steak,
not local food) was at Marco's Grill in Kahului.

If you want to do the sunrise and bike trip down Haleakala, eat first or
bring something with you.  They provide pastries and muffins, coffee and
juice before the trip up.  I ended up guzzling 2 cups of coffee and 4
pineapple juices and calling it breakfast.  We went with Maui Downhill,
which was an awesome trip.  The driver even stopped at a 7-11 so I could
grab some milk so I wouldn't have to trust their non-dairy creamer for my
coffee.  The Blue Water Rafting trip was also amazing.  They had fruit and
sandwiches for breakfast and lunch on that trip - again, I had fruit.

I didn't make any special arrangements, but everyone was eager to do what
they could for me, once I explained my needs.

Wendy
NY