Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 00:07:19 -0600

Thank you to everyone who replied to my query a few days ago regarding
whether or not blood tests can be done after being GF for only a short
period of time.

Most seemed to feel that it was necessary to be ingesting gluten when
the tests were done, however, some felt that a week or two wouldn't make
a significant difference.  Several people suggested reading about the
stool and genetic tests offered on Dr Kenneth Fine's website at
www.finerhealth.com or www.enterolab.com

I also asked how to go about making an appointment at the Mayo Clinic
and received some more good tips.  Below are excerpts regarding being GF
and the blood tests, and also some regarding the Mayo.

Thanks to everyone - this mailing list is a great resource.

Marcia Bignall

----------------------------------

Regarding blood tests and being GF for a short time:

"The blood tests become negative after about 2 to three months as far as
I know."

"Being Gf could skew the results.  However, I was GF for 2 weeks before
my blood test was done and it still came out positive."

"See "Summary of labs in NY" (4 separate parts).  Part 3 talks about
length of time you must be on a gluten containing diet for the blood
tests to be accurate.   Says a week or so on the GF diet won't make a
significant difference."

"Any amount of time on a gluten free diet can affect the blood test results."

"Those tests are hard enough to get a reliable reading even if  you're
not GF yet."

"everything I've read says you  must consume gluten one to two weeks
before the  blood test and up to six months (for some people) before a
biopsy for celiac to show up."

"You must have the blood drawn while you are still ingesting gluten.
The gut can heal extremely rapidly"

"I recently asked my doctor about the blood test that screens for CD. He
said that even if you are gluten free, the blood work will always read
positive for CD, if you have it. The biopsy, however, will not."

"my tests came back negative after 2 weeks being GF . . . he said that
the lab asked how long was I off gluten, because if it was longer than 10
days, then the test is useless."

----------------------------------

Regarding the Mayo Clinic:

"I just checked out the Mayo Clinic website (www.mayo.edu).  Click on
"Mayo Rochester" (far left column) then at their home page, click on
"Appointments" and you will have exactly the info you need from the
horse's mouth, so to speak.  Or try going directly to:
http://www.mayo.edu/mcr/roc_app.html

"Before making your appointment with Mayo, check with your insurance and
make sure they will pay for it."

"Get a referral from your doc and phone the doc he suggests."

"With respect to your post about info on the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, I
was there about 1-1/2 years ago.  While procedures may have changed
since that  time, when I went you did not need a doctor's referral to
make an appointment."