From:
Phyllis Chinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 21:50:35 EST

I have received about 40 emails regarding my question on amaranth.  The
majority of them said  it is gf and caused no problems.  A few said they were
sensitive to it.  Following is one which may be of interest to the list.

> Someone recently posted an item about Sylvan Farms gluten free flour
> mix and said it was really good.  I recently saw it in a healthfood
> store; however, it contains amaranth.  I have read conflicting
> information on it.  Has anyone used it and had a problem or is it ok
> for us to consume?

Both GIG and CDF allow amaranth on their food lists. Their food
lists (unlike CSA's) are based on the latest scientific evidence that
could be found on grains, etc. BTW, amaranth is not really a grain
at all -it is a "pseudo-grain" and therefore *can't* have the offending
proteins...

Sylvan Border's owner (Joan Wade) worked closely with CDF and
its' volunteers when developing the mixes. We've all been eating
them for several years with no problems. She even takes care of
the details- the mixes are packaged in a GF facility that she went
out of her way to find...

karen
Karen Davis
Davis and Associates Consulting