Date:
Sun, 24 Dec 2000 20:13:18 CST

Hi everyone,

        I feel terrible for forgetting to send back my summary.  We just
moved into our house a few weeks ago, so getting ready for the Holidays
has been a challenge.  Here is the summary of Chocolate and buterscotch
baking chips I inquired about.  The concensous is Hershey's products are
pretty safe.  One woman has included a list of Nestle products that are
gluten free (Thanks a million for checking that out and sharing it).  As
for the almondbark, some did a great idea of suggesting the use of white
chocolate chips as a subsitute.  I think our baking is complete.  Mom and
I made the GF stuffing today with some rice bread we baked, and tomorrow
we cook the bird we bought fresh from the store.  I hope everyone has a
Merry Christmas and good GF food to enjoy.

Sincerely,
Mike in Iowa

A member in our group had contacted Wilton (the cake decoration people) &
their was g.f.  They have bags of wafer shapes for melting to make candy.

GF butterscotch chips, use Hershey's not Nestles.

bev in Milwaukee

I don't know about the almond bark, but Hershey's butterscotch chips are GF.
Merry Christmas to you.

Lynne
So. ST. Paul, MN

Have you checked "Celiac Abby's" list?  It's a great web site that posts gf
foods as confirmed by the mfr.  The site is:

http://forums.delphi.com/celiac/start

Hope this helps.

Roben
Maryland

We have had good luck using chocolate chips.  We weren't able to find any
almond bark we were sure about, so this year we melted Nestle Toll House
semi-sweet chocolate chips and the Nestle Toll House Premier White Morsels
for the chocolate and the white chocolate.  They worked out fine.  For the
covered pretzels, they are a bit thicker, but it really does work pretty
well and it tastes even better because it is the real chocolate.

The list we have from the University of Iowa lists the following products gf
Nestle Toll House: Mint semi-sweet morsels, semi-sweet chocolate morsels,
semi-sweet chocolate chunks, semi-sweet mini morsels, premier white morsels,
milk chocolate morsels, semi-sweet chocolate covered raisins, choco bake
cocoa powder, premier white baking bar, unsweetened chocolate baking bar

Baker's:Real Milk Chocolate chips, semi-sweet chocolate flavored, semi-sweet
chocolate bar, bittersweet chocolate bar, unsweetened chocolate bar, white
chocolate bar, german's sweet chocolate bar

Hyvee: semi sweet chocolate chips
Saco: premium cocoa, semi-sweet chunks
Select: chocolate chips

Hope this helps and have fun baking.  This is the first year since my
husband has been diagnosed celiac that we tried making Christmas
goodiesand it really wasn't a big change.  Those that we gave the
cookies and candies to couldn't even taste the difference.

Kari

I have a recent Nestle GF list and the butterscotch chips are NOT on the
GF lis t.

Sorry, can't help you with Hersheys.

I believe the Nestle white chocolate chips are on the GF list.  Would
this serv e as a substitute for almond bark?

Hope this helps.

Barbara in Illinois

I contacted Nestle (spoke to Kerry Rosaria, Consumer Response Representative
at 1-800-225-2270), and they sent me a GF list.  They said the following
products were, to the best of their knowledge, free of wheat, oats, rye or
barley/malt ingredients (with the usual disclaimers about reading ingredients
for most current information)

Nestle Toll House:

Mint semi-sweet chocolate morsels (seasonal)
semi-sweet choc. morsels
semi-sweet choc. chunks
semi-sweet mini morsels
premier white morsels
milk choc. morsels
semi-sweet choc. covered raisins
choco bake
cocoa powder
premier white baking bar
unsweetened choc. baking bar
semi-sweet choc. baking bar

Nestle Carnation Milks:
instant nonfat dry milk
evaporated milk
lowfat evap. milk
fat free evap. milk
sweetened condensed milk

Libby's Pumpkin:

100% pure pumpkin
easy pie mix

Albers:
yellow cornmeal
white cornmeal
quick grits

It seems to me I've read about cornmeals being suspect (non-dedicated
lines, etc.) and that there was a post quite recently about which ones
were OK.  We made brownies with the Nestle semi-sweet chocolate chunks
and they were OK(except the flour mix we used was not very successful,
and they had that GF icky taste.  I'm new at this baking business.)

Anyway, hope this helps.  If I can figure out how to do it, I guess I'll try
to post this on the list.

Happy holidays!

Holly in South Carolina