From:
Diane Donald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 16:28:14 -0500

I received 15 replies to my email regarding the Hallelujah Diet.

Several were just telling where to find information about the diet itself.
I had already checked their web site. I had an idea of what the diet
consisted of but was looking for anyone that was actually on it or knew
firsthand someone that was.  Others wanted me to pass on information I
received.  Some of the responses were for other weight loss methods and
diets.  There are varying opinions as to whether the Barley Green is gluten
free.

For those who asked, here is their web site:   http://www.hacres.com

___________________

Beth had met the originators of the diet as they were friends of her
mother.  Their diet consists of over 75% raw fruits & veggies (much of it
juiced), Barley Green three times daily and no meat or dairy.   They
continually graze rather then eat three meals a day. Her mother lost a lot
of weight but her Dad refused to do it and she gave up.

___________________

Have you tried cutting down or avoiding them completely for awhile the
sugary foods and highly starchy foods - rice, pasta, corn, breads,
potatoes, etc?  This helps many people lower their weight.

___________________

I've gained 20 pounds myself since going gluten free just this past March.
I'd love to hear any replies you get to your note.

___________________

I have been following Dr. McDougall's diet for over 4 years and feel great!
His Maximum Weight Loss plan is great for losing weight quickly. It cuts
out all bread products which is great for us anyways.....This might be a
better place to start than the Hallelujah Diet since it is I believe mainly
or all raw food. That is hard for most people to stick to when making a
dietary change. I eat lots of raw foods during the summer because it helps
me to cool my body off and because I tend to crave lighter foods then.
.......I hope this helps!  McDougall has a page at vegsource if you want to
check into it.

http://www.vegsource.com/

___________________

Personally, I don't think it sounds like it is nutritionally sound.   You
might find this site interesting (more on the right track -- to my
mind):   http://www.nutramed.com/

___________________

If Barley Green is the juice from barley grass, it is safe for celiacs. The
sprouted plants have converted the gluten proteins in the grain to plant
proteins, and no longer contain gluten. It is only a problem if the bran
hulls (which still contain gluten) get mixed in with the grass at the time
that the juice is extracted. Usually the hulls fall off as the plants
sprout, and the grass is harvested by cutting the blades off close to the
soil it is growing in. I grew barley grass and wheat grass for juicing for
several months (the juicing program was a lot of work to stay on, with no
apparent benefits for me personally).

From: The Freeburgs <[log in to unmask]>

___________________

      I'm not familiar with the Hallelujah, per se.  But a friend of
mine was diagnosed with Stage III breast cancer.  She refused the
traditional treatment (chemo, radiation) and treated herself with the
Gerson method in Mexico.  It involves strictly organic vegetable juicing
(15 pounds/day) and a lightly cooked vegetable soup (2 pounds/day).  The
Gerson method is over 60 years old and has saved many people from death.
It also involves barley greens and several supplements, not to mention
coffee enemas for detoxification.  For the most part it is a life-time
commitment.  She is cancer-free 5 years later.  With the addition of
glyconutrients to her diet, her cancer markers went and remain below
normal limits.  Six months ago I wrote an article about Dr. Nick
Gonzalez in NYC.  His patients also eat an organic diet, do lots of
supplements, and take coffee enemas.   The patients he gets are
terminal, except they thrive on his diet and live--even several
pancreatic cancer patients.  I'd be happy to e-mail you that article if
you are interested.

      Bottom line, from my research, it's a miracle when a cancer patient
survives chemotherapy and radiation--not the other way around.  But there
is so much money to be made in the cancer industry, we are not told
that.  And the good people who are providing nutrition, instead, are mocked
and put on "quack watch" status.

      So if "terminal" patients are thriving on this diet, imagine how well
those of us who aren't full of cancer would do?  I've been thinking of
adding juicing to my diet.  But where I live it's so hard to find organic
foods.

___________________

I'm not sure that the barley green is safe, and I don't want to risk it.
Lastly, I tried eating the raw veggies and fruit, but my body craved
something (anything) that was hot and cooked. I just couldn't exist on
cold, raw veggies. I do a partial diet of what he recommends, however. I
eat fruit for breakfast, lots of salads for lunch and dinner, and fruit
throughout the day. Fish is healthy, so I incorporate more of it in my diet
than other protein sources, and I eat lots of brown rice for lunch. I
stopped eating so many carbohydrates, which is what I think contributes to
weight gain.

___________________

I believe that the gliadin that is in barley is in the barley seeds
(grain), and that barley green drink is made from barley grass - and does
not contain any part of the seeds.  You will have to verify that, but it
makes some sense.  It is very possible that is contains no gluten.

___________________

    A friend of mine sells a barley drink, that I have tried, 3 times as a
matter of fact, but got sick each time.  Then, I thought that perhaps if it
was just the rice (which I am allergic to), I would try some that didn't
have rice, and found another product, but I also became very slowly sick,
and went through the brain detox after I went off of it.  So, I would say
it is not OK, at least for those of us that have a "brain" affliction when
eating gluten. They all say and label that there is no gluten in there, but
there is definitely something that affects my brain negatively, so
therefore, in my mind, it must be gluten-related. I met somebody else who
had the same problem, even though she wasn't aware of herself being gluten
intolerant.