From:
Saskia Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 10:56:54 -0800

Dear List,

Here is a summary of the responses I received from my inquiry about
surviving on a gluten free diet in Asia.  Most were very positive, and noted
that it one must be as aware of contamination and things to avoid as in
wheat based societies.  However, it seems from the responses and other
research I have done that it is easier to be gluten free once you know what
to avoid and learn enough of the respective language to slalom your way down
the gluten free slope. And avoid that soy sauce or bring your own tamari!

I am concerned, however, about the gluten free status of the rice vinegar
used in Asia--should I be concerned about this as I am here?  And are most
soy/miso products free of wheat there, as they tend to be a bit dubious
here?

Thanks,

Saskia Smith
Seattle

I was in SE Asia last summer and China this summer.  The big thing is
avoiding soy sauce and breaded items.  For thickening they use corn
starch only.  I found in China that the only foods in restaurants cooked
without soy sauce were the vegetables but unfortunately they are all
prepared with meat--i.e., they do not have meat in them but are cooked
with pork or either beef or pork stock.  SE Asia had more options.

Have a nice trip!!!

My sister was in japan for 3 weeks and had great fun. The only thing you
really have to look out for is the soysauce, it is often made with wheat. In
Vietnam you will have less trouble.

Being a vegetarier is not a problem there, since meat isn't something they
eat with every meal.

I often go to asian-restaurants for that reason, easy GF and veggie, perfect
combination...

I have also planned to travel to Vietnam in September
2001 for only 3 weeks.  The people I am travelling
with are confident that I will be able to keep my
strict gf diet.  After seeking further info from the
following websites I feel confident that all will be
well.  Before I go I will get a Restaurant card in the
Vietnamese language and will take a carry bag with
rice cakes & snacks.  I've heard the fruit is
excellent in Vietnam so am looking forward to that.

I spent a month in Indonesia 5 years ago (but before I
was diagnosed with CD.  Even then I ate a lot of
seafood and rice - rice for breakfast as well - lunch
was usually rice & spice wrapped in leaves.  The mango
juice was out of this world.

http://asiarecipe.com/vietnam.html
http://www.thingsasian.com/destination/vietnam/index.htm

I would be really grateful if you would pass on any
other information you get on this.

I!  I can't speak for the other countries, but I did spend a month in
Viet Nam two years ago and had no problems.  We were adopting a baby,
not on a typical Western tour, so we really were right in the heart of
Hanoi eating at local restaurants etc.  I had no difficulty since it is
a rice based culture.

 They were always very helpful and it was a very nice experience.  Good
Luck!

Just wanted to let you know I went to Japan last year
for about a week and didn't have any problems.  Just
was very careful and stuck with foods that were rice
and soy based, and no problem!  Go for it!

YOu should have no trouble in Japan, as it is a rice-based diet.  The only
thing you should watch out for is the soy sauce.  Some will tell you there
is no wheat in it, but the Japanese soy sauces available in the US have
wheat in them.  I had no trouble in Thailand (Bangkok), where you will find
you can eat much of what they serve.  Always query your waiter.

Also, you should be able to get vegetarian meals both places.  I hope
you're willing to eat fish, because you'll get the freshest fish you've
ever had in Japan.

hello, i have not been to asia since the mid 70's and then i was only 9!
so i would not know how it is today, BUT i will say that after living on
maui for a year, i would think it would be pretty easy. asian people do
not eat wheat like americans do. just having a high amt of asian people
living in the hawaiian islands made shopping at any store a breeze!
fresh fish, fruits and lots of rice. hawaii is the place to live for a
celiac, but alas, i am landlocked in colorado now!  i would suggest that
you learn some language if possible or be with someone who knows some. i
would watch out for the msg type things. otherwise they are maninly into
fresh food and little or no processed foods! i really would think it
would not be that difficult except for the language barrier. have a
great time! i sure wish i could go back as a adult! i loved that place,
but i am sure it is really different now. we could not go into china
back then only hong kong, but we went to tokyo and hong kong. i went on
the jumbo floating restaurant which is a huge boat in the middle of
nowhere. it was excellent! look it up, it might still be there! it was a
huge dining ship.i might see if that place still is there. might be
online... hmm...

hi! my name is sneha , i am from india and i can assure you that india
is a heaven for gluten free foods.  there should not be any problem for
you to be gluten free in india. rice is the staple food of india , there
are so many different dishes made out of rice. if you are going to the
north or south of india it does not matter india is filled with
delicious gluten free foods. but of course there is no harm in asking
around before you start you eat i am sure you will find a lot of
friendly people around to help you out.

good luck and all the best on your trip.

,
     Since you are going into the Land of Rice, you really
shouldn't have much problem finding GF vegetarian options.

The veg. part should be pretty easy, since almost everywhere
is getting used to vegetarian travelers. Avoiding things with
obvious wheat (breads, noodles, etc.) also shouldn't be too
hard. If in doubt, stick with plain steamed rice as your staple.
Your biggest problem will be soy sauce. But I think if you
just say "no soy sauce", you should be okay. A lot of food will
turn out kind of bland, but you won't have a stomachache.

Most Asian countries use cornstarch as a thickener, so this
part should be fine. You'll just eat a lot of steamed rice and
stir-fried vegetables!

     I am an anthropologist who works in Indonesia and have
traveled widely in Asia. Sometimes I get kind of sloppy about
always avoiding soy sauce (on the grounds, usually true, that
a little bit won't kill me -- just not every day!!). Usually, though,
I have no problems at all, even without trying to make lots of
special arrangments. So you should be fine.

I am a part Korean, lived in various parts of Asia growing up in a military
family.  I have noticed since being diagnosed with CD that Thai food is the
most GF since you have to avoid most of the noodles and soy sauce.  They
tend to use mostly rice noodles and no soy sauce.  Chinese food seems the
most difficult because of noodles, eggrolls, soy sauce, etc., then next
perhaps India, with their flat breads and somosas (meat pies with potatoes
and such inside).  Korean food is spicy but flavorful uses lots of rice bowl
type foods, skip their dumplings, the manduk, very popular, and skip their
grilled meats bulgoki, if it's marinated in soy as it usually is.
Vietnamese is somewhat like Thai and Chinese.  But all of these near and far
Eastern cuisines have GF alternatives, you just have to be careful just as
anywhere else and concentrate on eating primarily rice, meat and vegetables
but beware of sauces.  That should be easier in those countries than in our
wheat-based USofA!!!