From:
Aviva Mandl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 18:14:06 -0600

My initial post was my frustration and fear of being able to observe
Passover, this being my first one gluten-free.  I am a vegetarian, I
will eat fish and I will eat dairy only if I take Lactaid, since I'm
also lactose intolerant.

First I want to thank everyone for your replies.  I received over 50.  I
did my best to respond to everyone who took the time to write
personally, but had two emails bounce, so if you didn't get one, I
apologize.

I was surprised with the overwhelming amount of Celiac non-Jews who
responded that this is the best time of year because of all the bakery
goods.

I was brought to tears from one woman's response that Passover time is
the only time she can take her Celiac child into a (Kosher) bakery to
choose something ready-made.

Advice/Recommendations
I was told I could contact Deborah Ross at Manischewitz for a
Gluten-Free list at [log in to unmask]  Several people also sent the
Manischewitz list to me.  It seems like there are lots of cakes and
desserts more than anything. ;-)

Almost everyone responded that I buy and store Passover cakes/cookies
and foods only obtainable at Passover for use during the rest of the
year.  I was thinking that would seem to detract from the "specialness"
of the holiday.  However, I was told by one that she reserves certain
recipes only for Passover to keep that specialness - great idea!

I was told to watch out for any product containing matza, matza meal,
matza farfel and cake meal.  Those all contain gluten.  (No wonder I've
spent every Passover doubled over!)

Many recommended using potato pancake mix instead of matza ball mix.
I'm very anxious to try that.

My gefilte fish craving should be sated by a few different vendors:
BenZ's Gourmet Food Products, Inc., Brooklyn, NY 11213
Kedem (blue label)
Hagar (some)

I was also told there are Passover Crumbs (non-gebrots), like
breadcrumbs, available from Paskez Company of Brooklyn, that are made
from potato starch.

I was offered recipes by many - and PLEASE keep them coming!  I will
take anything you have to offer!  I am overwhelmed with how much support
I've received.  I've even been invited to a gluten-free seder (means
"order", tells the story of Passover)!  The Lubavitch Passover Cookbook
was recommended since the Lubavtich/Chasidic do not cook foods made with
matza products, which I'm going to try to locate.

Most said I should relax a bit.  Those in the position mentioned how
difficult their first year of observing a gluten-free Passover was, but
how they'd survived and I will as well.  A few others mentioned this too
will be their first Passover and I hope this summary is helpful to them.

Matza Substitutes
Many recommended the oat matza, but I must admit, I am still a bit leery
of trying that.  One person said she'll have Ener-G crackers instead of
the matza because it looks similar.  I was given a recipe to make my own
egg matza using potato starch.  I will be happy to pass that along to
others.  Someone said she makes matza with garbanzo bean flour (no
recipe given and my request to obtain it bounced).  Rice crackers at the
seder were mentioned as an alternative even accepted in orthodox homes.

Ashkenazi vs Sephardic
I was told that it's more of a "minhag" and not "halacha" (custom vs
law) regarding Ashkenazi Jews not eating rice and beans for the
holiday.  Several mentioned that although they are Ashkenazi, they just
observe the Sephardic custom of eating beans and rice for Passover.  I
was told by several that their rabbis (many different denominations)
mentioned that this is a "Pikuet Nefesh" issue (the doing something you
typically wouldn't for health reasons) and if I was to have beans or
rice on the family's Passover dishes, I wouldn't be making them traife
(no longer Kosher for Passover).  One rabbi even mentioned eating the
rice and beans would be a mitzvah.  This makes me extremely relieved.

Other Religions
The problem of having a food (matza) we're supposed to have at the seder
was compared to problems with communion wafers in other religions.

Searching the Archives
Since I mentioned to several I wasn't positive how to search the
archives, I was given this link:
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?S1iliac&D=0

Suggestion
Maybe it would be possible if enough of us to write to some of the
bigger companies that make Passover gluten-free goods we can get some
products sold year-round.

I hope everyone has a good Passover and/or gets to stock up on products
you can enjoy all year.

Aviva
(Chicago)