From:
Betsey Carus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 03:38:10 -0500

I contacted Arrowhead Mills regarding the gf status of one of their
cereals. I was told that they currently have 3 cereals that are gf:

Sweetened Rice Flakes
Corn Flakes
Maple Buckwheat Flakes

I have only seen the Rice flakes and so could only question the
ingredients in that product. The 2 ingredients that could be a problem
were Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C) which they said is made from corn and
Vitamin E which they said was made from soy & canola (we did discuss the
issue of canola oil for celiac's and their position is that the vitamin
E is prepared/manufactured in such a way as to remove luteins, it is
less than 1 percent of the product and they believe it should not be a
problem for celiacs).

I was also told the packaging for the cereals should be changed by the
end of the year and will reflect the gf status. Plus they have several
more gf cereals in the pipeline (I did not ask what they were). I also
passed on the information that people would like a cheerios type cereal
and she plans on passing it on to their R & D since that was not
something they had been considering.

Arrowhead Mills
Box 2059
Hereford, Texas 79045 USA

1-800-749-0730 8 am to 5 pm CT weekdays.

Betsey Carus
Baltimore, MD USA