From:
John Stang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 12:18:05 -0500

      Here is the input from the Celiac Listserv regarding horseradish
and vinegar as excerpted from five [5] very thoughtful replies:
 ______________

My ___ is gluten intolerant; I make vinegars for her and here's what the
scoop is on it.  When they distill vinegar, it's distilled with barley,
oats, etc.  and so it makes it impossible for the gluten intolerant to
eat anything "distilled."  I make my own vinegar from a mother-source - a
type of bacteria, wine, and water.  It's recommended you do it this way
if you like vinegar.  It's really not hard, and any on-line wine supplier
or store will have the "mother vinegars."
 ______________

My understanding of the debate is that many believe all of the offending
gluten is removed during the distillation process.  Those with Celiac
disease who are very sensitive may still react to this distilled product.
One could question that even though only a sensitive Celiac may react, is
the quantity of gluten to which they are reacting still doing silent
damage to the others?
 ______________

When I was first diagnosed with celiac disease I ground my own
horseradish root and used cider vinegar.  (Heinz) After a few years and a
bit more scuttlebutt from other celiacs I decided to try the commercial
brands.  I have tried them and have no problems.  I really think they are
fine since I am very sensitive to gluten.
 ______________

The Celiac Sprue Association products listings book lists the following
brands of horseradish as gluten free:  Axelrod, Boar's Head, Crowley,
Duke's and Manischevitz.

As to the kind of vinegar used, there is an ongoing controversy as to
which vinegars may or may not be GF (gluten free).  Some hold that
distilled vinegars are not GF  because they are often distilled from
glutinous grains.  Others of a more scientific bent who understand the
process of distillation insist that distilling rids the fluid of any
extraneous substances and is therefore GF.

I've been eating all vinegars I encounter since I was diagnosed six
years ago, and I seem to be quite sensitive to small amounts of gluten,
but have never had any problem with any vinegar -- yet.

The same controversy exists about natural flavorings.  Some say they are
carried in alcohol, which may be grain alcohol, and therefore should be
avoided.  Others again hold that the distillation solves that problem
and do not avoid the natural flavors.  Again, my own anecdotal
experience is that I've never yet had a problem with this.
 _____________

For the best and most accurate information on vinegar and gluten status
of same, check out the second to the last issue of Gluten Free Living - a
newsletter by Ann Whelan.  Try ...

http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/vinegar.html

Ed Note - This is perhaps the most comprehensive discussion of the
subject, and merits review by any readers seeking more information.  The
concluding statements are reproduced here:

 -----------------------------

"Since there seems to be no firm basis for avoiding vinegar, it would be
best for all celiacs if the controversy about this product was laid to
rest; (some groups are moving in this direction).  Then we can get on to
more important things and help all celiacs feel more confident about
their diet and their health.

*** The one vinegar about which celiacs might have some concern is malt
vinegar, which is made from "an infusion of barley malt or cereals,"
according to the Compliance Policy Guide.  Also, a few vinegars do have
flavoring or something else added back in after distillation.  If so,
that would be indicated on the label.
 ____________________

<Disclaimer>  This is submitted as a collation, not medical opinion, by
a teacher, yes, but more specifically by the dad of a celiac son.  Many
thanks to those who have replied thus far.

JMS
_______
John M. Stang, M.D.

Powelson Professor of Medicine
Assistant Dean for Student Counseling and Tutoring
Office of Academic Services for Medical Education
B-013D Grant Graves Hall
333 West Tenth Avenue
Columbus, Ohio  43210-1239
[614] 292-1912  FAX -0745