From:
Mary Blymire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 17:03:04 -0700

Hello again,

I had what was to be my confirming for CD biopsy done 4/13.  Unfortunately,
after having eaten gluten again for 4 weeks in order to do this, pain every
day, all 8 of the 8 scrapes taken were ruined by the staff preparing them
for the lab.  Yes, I did ask for 15-20 to be done.  So, no yes or no.  I
have changed to a different gastro doctor for more than just the obvious
reason and saw new doctor for the first time today.  He is running 8 blood
tests to check for deficiencies, thyroid functioning, etc. and a check of
stool re: fat.  I intend to stay on the gluten-free diet which I've been
doing since 4/13 barring 2 "mistakes."  At this point, he wants to just
wait and see what the blood work shows.  He mentioned that he has ordered
one more test for CD called ritulin (sp?).  I had the standard 3 tests done
before and was high in the IGG and IGA tests, negative in the endomysial one.

My question is will the blood work even show anything at all re:  CD since
I've been gluten-free since 4/13 or do they judge by deficiencies what's
up?  Are there others of you out there who really never had a confirming
biopsy and simply continued on gluten-free diet?  I've been feeling so much
better gluten-free I would think that would be sufficient evidence but I
believe the new doctor mentioned ruling out Crohn's.  I do understand there
could be more than one thing going on at the same time.  At least this
doctor has up-to-date information on CD and a few current patients with it.

I'd appreciate any responses that you feel may be of value.

Thanks again.  This is such a wonderful support for me.

Mary

                "Cooperation + Tolerance = Peace"