From: [log in to unmask]
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 17:57:24 -0600 (CST)
To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Close The School of Assassins Down!

Last weekends demonstration at Ft. Benning, Ga.- November 20-21,  marked
the 10th anniversary of the killing of 6 Jesuit priests in El Salvador.
Over 12,000 demonstrators turned out,  to demand the closing of the
"School of Americas" school of torture for Third World soldiers.
Noriega, Somoza, and Roberto D'Aubuisson,  are a few of the most
notorious graduates.

Over 5,000 risked arrest by crossing inside the Army base with coffins
and crosses,  bearing a few of the names of previous victims of SOA
sponsored terror against civilians.     A long list of names, with ages
of those murdered,   was read. The response by demonstrators of-
"Presente"-  was a very moving,  and very sad,  ceremony.

Father Roy Bourgeois is one of America's true heroes.      He started
this crusade,  to expose and terminate US terrorist training, during the
most bleak years of the Reagan-Bush era.   As a result, he has been
jailed for over 4 years in a land,  supposedly free of Political
Prisoners.

This year,  was the largest of the annual demonstrations.      The
leadership of this movement,  has spoken repeatedly of not allowing
cosmetic responses,  by the US government, to deter future actons
against US military intervention in Latin America.   Speaker after
speaker,  referred to the grotesque escalation of US intervention,
against the peoples of Mexico and Colombia.

A moving rendition of "We Shall Overcome",  sung by demonstrators,
marked the defiance and spirit of this years demonstrators.      We
returned to our communities,  determined to continue our antiwar
activism.      Next year, once again,  our chant will be-WE'RE BACK!-
Until no longer it shall be necessary,  to oppose our own government's
criminal policies of aggression,  against the poor of Latin America.