----- Original Message -----
From: Mike Buraczewski <[log in to unmask]>

> Hello to all
>

> 1.  Do CGI scripts reside on a server where everyone that writes pages
can
> get access to them, or do you need to create your own scripts?

CGI scripts reside in a special directory on the Web Server.  Most ISPs do
not allow you to use your own custom scripts, but they do have a library
of scripts which you can access.  Talk with your service provider for more
intormation on what you can or can not access/use.

> 2.  If you need to create your own, what are the basics?

CGI scripts are usually written in the PERL language.  PERL is a plain
text based language .  The scripts can be developed using anything from
the lowly notepad to high level wordprocessors (like Word).  I am not
aware of any special "tools" that can help/create the code for you.

> 3.  When using Frontpage, or any other developers tool, what is the HTML
> code that references a CGI script?

                       <type-of-link="path/script?variables">
Type-of-link could be IMG SRC= for a counter or    ACTION= for a form.
Your ISP will have the exact code for her/his available scripts.

> 4. Any recommended reference materials, particularly on line?

Since PERL has been around for a long time, your local library may have
some books that can help teach you to become a PERL programmer.  Other
than that, I suppose you can find several hundred reference sites by
searching for "PERL programming" at your favorite search engine

         The PCSOFT web site always needs good submissions.  If
               software tech tips or software reviews to: