----- Original Message -----
From: Harold E. Schumacher, Jr. <[log in to unmask]>
snip,
>as I stated earlier, this is a
> re-formatted drive with nothing on it!  I have a diskette with
> various files on it to start up along with CD-ROM drivers to run the
> CD.  It goes through part of the setup, then the message.

I would look real close at the start up disk... Is it corrupt?
proper version, using a disk overlay, etc.???
What is "it" doing to get you on this drive. Is the BIOS right?
It seems more like an ACCESS problem or a problem with
"something" on the drive.  I've had perfectly good drives I
could "almost" read, or that were flaky as far as access.
If you are absolutely sure the drive is "setup" right, and,
since you have nothing to loose, I would do a low level format
(they call it that, we know it is not...), then write "zeros"
to the drive beginning, or the entire drive.  I have some utilities
that do that.  They "might" be "manufacturer specific", and I think
I got them from the IBM WEB site. One is called ZAP, the other
WIPE.
Another question, --- did you try another HD?
         Good luck,   Rick

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html