Mark, does your system actually have two processors in it?  If it does not,
you need to use the single processor kernel.  /etc/lilo.conf probably says
that you are booting /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.5-15smp.  If you have one processor
in your system, you need to boot /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.5-15 instead.

If you do have two processors, try turning UDMA off in the BIOS, if you can.

Sorry, I should have recognized this earlier...

Drew Dunn