I've got an old 540Mb Quantum . The problem is that I cannot copy data to it but run fdisk and low-level format.  When copying, it write just a little and... hang. And any time I use Windows Explorer to browse devices in my computer, it take very long time to scrool the menu down. (without the hdd, it's ok). And one bottom line is that the hdd is always very hot (i was afraid of it) in the current computer. When i take it to another com to low-level format, the temp is not very high like this. I am using a mobile rack to put this hdd.

My computer has one 4.3Bg Quantum parallel with one 4.Gb Western Digital (using the same cable), one 100x cd-rom  drive (use the same cable with the 540hdd) (there is no point in changing the cd-rom to master or slave, same problem!) . I've got an PII cpu, i40LX chipset, case medium tower ATX 250W
please help me with this, i appreciate all comments, advices and suggestions.
  Thank you in advance.
Luan Nguyen