I have been following this mailing list for a little while and have enjoyed reading the posts.  I decided to take the opportunity of the holidays to do a clean install of Win 98 on my machine.  While I am still in the process of re-installing software, it looks like Win 98, itself, is working fine.  However, I have run into a problem with my joystick.  I seem to have the ability to use only about half of the vertical axis.  In other words, using it for pointing up and down, I can look straight ahead and look down, but I can't look up with it.  When I go through control panel to game controls, I have CH Flightstick selected (as offered by Win 98).  When I go to the test option, available from the select joystick window, I get the problem with only partial use of the vertical axis.  I then go to calibrate the joystick.  When calibrating, I seem to be able to move the cursor completely around the little box.  In other words, it seems that I have control of the joystick's full range of motion.  However, when I save this calibration and go back to test it again, I am back to only having the partial use of the vertical axis.

I have the joystick plugged into a game port on my OEM SB 16 (Vibra 16) sound card.  The sound card appears to be working fine.  Device manager doesn't show any conflicts with IRQ or DMA settings (I haven't changed anything from how Win 98 set up my hardware when it was installed.)  The game port I/O address range shows up correctly in Device Manager, as well.

TIA for any thoughts or pointers.

John