I have a 56K X2 modem in my 486 33Sx.  Believe me, if this
thing can handle it, so can an old Pentium.  However, Compaq
is known for screwing around with things they consider
"useless" to the average home user, so you might want to
check with Compaq via their customer service or tech dept.
A 56K modem SHOULD work with your computer, and I would
suggest one that uses the V.90 standard.  However, you may
also wish to check with your ISP to see what type of
hardware they use.  For example, I use an X2 modem, but my
ISP uses FLEX.  Therefore, I can only get up to 33.6 on
their lines.

HTH,
Frank

--