rAt 01:30 PM 9/27/98 , you wrote:
>Hello, I have a Cardinal 28.8 v.34-vfc data fax modem. The problem is that
>every time that I am on the computer an someone calls it picks it up with
>a fax tone. I tried to disable the modem from device manger but it stills
>picks up my phone calls. How can I make it so it doesn't do this anymore.
>Thank u for your time an patience.
>
>PS
>I used to use winfax to disable it but
>I did a full installment of Win98
>When I installed winfax it asked me to register
>it but the phone number it has does not work
>so I can not use it. Is there anything I can do
>or any software that would do the job.

Go to Control Panel =>System=>Device Manager

Find your modem driver and then double click on it.
Then click on the "Connection" tab and then click on the ADVANCED
button in the middle of the window.  In Extra Settings window add this:

S0=0         (this is Szero=zero)

This is an 'S' register and it tells your modem to answer the phone on
whatever ring is listed, in this case it is set to zero or does not answer.

There are other 'S' registers that can be added here.  The S register
S11 sets the speed the modem dials.  You can set this to S11=55
and dramatically speed up the dial process...   there are more that
can be found in your modem manual or online from your modem
manufacturer.

S registers are added in the extra setting box inline as follows:

S0=0S11=55

Hope that helps.

Bob Wright  -   The NOSPIN GROUP
   [log in to unmask]   -   http://nospin.com