William Kinsey wrote:

> I have a MNX 200 that I built.  I have two Maxtor, one Connor and one
> WD installed.  I decided to buy a WD 6.2 g and add it to the machine .
> I unplug a 2.5G WD and installed the 6.2 in the same position as the
> WD I took out.  Everthing works.  I decided to reinstall the 2.5 WD,
> but the computer would not even acknowledge it was there. I tried
> setting the CMOS to manual setup, used EZ drive.  In fact I have tried
> to install it into 3 different computers with the same results.  The
> machines will not recognize the drive being there.  Any suggestions
> will be most welcome.  I don't mind sending it back to WD, but I would
> like to get the programs off it first.

You said you have four drives installed and then you decided to
reinstall the fifth.  Does this mean you have a tertiary drive
controller, like on a sound card?  Or did you remove one of the drives
from the primary or secondary controllers.  When you reinstalled the
drive, did you install it in the same position or a different position,
i.e., if it was originally installed as a primary drive, did you
reinstall it as a primary drive?  If it was originally a primary (or
secondary) and you reinstalled it as a secondary (or primary), then you
would need to change the jumper settings.  What happens if you
disconnect all of the other drives and try this as the only drive in the
system (is it a bootable drive)?  Answers to these questions will assist
us in finding an answer for you.
--
Larry Atlow                          Internet:[log in to unmask]
Microcomputer Analyst                Phonenet: (601) 264-9639