Jim,

I agree, that is not a very workable solution.

One of the quickest and easiest ways to speed up the boot process is
to eliminate all the fonts that you never use.  Each new application
you install adds more fonts.  All those fonts have to be catalogued,
indexed, and registered each time windows starts.

I just create an ON HOLD folder inside the WINDOWS\FONTS folder
and then move all those unnecessary fonts down there.  If I
decide that I need a font, I just move it back up and reboot
windows and there it 'tis.

One word of caution, do not do this with system or printer fonts,
only TrueType and Adobe fonts.