Date:         Tue, 21 Apr 1998 20:06:04 +0100
Sender: International Auxiliary Languages <[log in to unmask]>
From: James Chandler <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      English and the EU Tower of Babel (3)
To: Multiple recipients of list AUXLANG <[log in to unmask]>

The third and final letter:

>From Dr Sue Wright

Sir, Already there are 110 pairs of languages between which there must be
interpretation and translation.  In the European Parliament the lack of
interpreters for some language pairs means that the relay system is used:
for example, a speech in Finnish to be interpreted into Greek goes via
English.  There is a high possibility of slippage of meaning and
inevitable delay (hence the old joke that the Danes laugh last).

The great volume of documents to be translated means that MEPs from the
smaller language communities receive information long after those who can
read French or English.  With the five new accessions to the EU, the
number of language pairs rises to 240.  Strict adherence to
plurilingualism would bring about complete sclerosis in the European
Parliament.

However, as you rightly point out, politicians must have the right to make
their points in the language they master best.  The fundamental conflict
between our need to communicate with each other and our right to be heard
in our own language needs to be fully debated.

Yours sincerely,
SUE WRIGHT,
Department of Language and European Studies,
Aston University,
Birmingham B4 7ET.
April 17.

James Chandler