Hi Listmates:

As an extremely lactose intolerant individual (ELII) I
have been avoiding products containing buttermilk.
The name certainly doesn't sound safe to me.  But
today (St. Patrick's Day) a co-worker brought Irish soda
bread into the office.  She offered it to me, but I said
Thanks but I can't.  Then she told me that it contains
buttermilk, which she said has the lactose fermented
like yogurt. I tried a piece (admittedly not big) with no
Lactaid pills and had no reaction whatsoever.  Could
anybody please tell me about buttermilk?  Is the
lactose really fermented like in yogurt?

Dave