Many thanks to everyone who replied. Some also asked for a summary, so it
may be useful for anyone else visting Boston, particularly from outside USA,
so here goes:

Food Stores
-----------
Trader Joes: recommended by 3 people
Bread & Circus: recommended by 11 people
Natures Heartland, in Bedford: recommended by 2 people
Nature's Abundance (Sudbury MA)
Concord Spice & Grain
Nature's Harvest, in Bedford
Gillians: a bakery in Revere, Ma

Restaurants
----------
broiled/grilled fish or meat with jacket potatoes suggested by several when
eating out, also japanese or chinese.
Restaurants mentioned by name:
Legal Sea Foods: recommended by 2 people
Cottonwood Cafe, Boston & Cambridge: caters for special diets, including GF
Bugaboo Creek Steak House
Cafe of India, Harvard Square
Palenque, Somerville for mexican
Elephant Walk, Boston & Cambridge for french & cambodian
Sol Azteca, Boston for mexican
Eats, Cambridge for english pub style
Pho Pasteur, Boston, Allston & Cambridge for vietnamese

Many thanks to all of you for advice and support, Peter is feeling more
confident now that we have all this information. I have addresses or phone
numbers for some of the above, if you would like the info please contact me
direct.

Best wishes to everyone
Judy
near Oxford, UK