Just to update everybody here, I received 5-6 responses.  Two people
stated they had contacted the company and were told the xanthan gum is
grown on barley.  On the side of the canister I bought it states:
"Xanthan Gum is produced by the pure culture fermentation of the
miroorganis, Xanthamonas campestris . . ."  This got me to thinking that
if yeast can be grown on a wheat/barley base, maybe this could too.

One person still uses the NOW brand but the others have switched.  I
will choose another brand.  Any suggestions?

Thanks
Lisa