>  My mom (who has a gluten intolerance) says she read that wild rice is
>somehow related to oats. Is this true? If it is true, does it affect celiacs?
>  (She read this in the syndicated L.M. Boyd trivia column, and it had no
>further information, but, better to be safe....)
>
>  Doug

At least according to Hitchcock, Manual of the Grasses of the United States
1950, wild rice belongs to the tribe Zizaniae whereas oats belongs to the
tribe Aveneae.  I see no obvious relationship between wild rice and oats in
Hitchcock's taxonomy.  It would be interesting to know where L. M. Boyd
obtained his information.

Donald D. Kasarda