Did you know that Georghiy Kushnir's son has volunteered to go to the front line?  Georghiy and Katia are proud but worried of course.

Peter

On Sun, 10 Mar 2024 at 21:42, Philip Brownell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Kyiv Gestalt University. Kyiv. Ukraine. Spectacular culture. Putin wants to absorb them and appropriate their history and culture. To do that he needs to strangle their identity. Wipe it out. That is genocide. I will never forget them, nor the makeshift memorial to the dead of Bucha. Nor the woman dancing to a guitar in the square down the street from the university. Nor the people praying in front of icons at St Michaels. Nor the flags in honor of the dead on the lawns around Maidan square, which seemed not really a square but a giant rectangle under which is the rail and stores and at least one fantastic restaurant where I drank horseradish infused vodka with George. And I will never forget George, who translated for me and told me that at night he watches the interceptors racing up to stop the missiles and how it all looks like Star Wars. I will never forget the memorial to the Azov Battalion in the square next to St Sophia nor the history of st Sophia which is so connected to the history of Kyiv itself. I still see the face of the young, red haired woman medic who gave her life in Mariupol, and even now it makes my heart ache because I was a corpsman during the Vietnam war.

So no. The presidency is a one issue concern for me.  The myopia of some of the republicans and the cowardice or simple political Machiavellianism of some of the others about this war is turning me around. And around and around.

Phil
Sent from my iPhone