Good morning,

With JAWS 2018 this does work pretty well, depending upon the quality of the image, of course. However, the commands are slightly different than what has been presented.

Place the pc cursor on the .png file, then you can either press Insert+Space, o, f, or you can press the Applications key (or shift+f10) and arrow down to Recognize With JAWS and press Enter.

If you wish to attempt this with JAWS 17, your options are limited to performing character recognition upon the image from within the open file. To do this: Open the .png file, Press Insert+Space, o, w. This will cause Convenient OCR to attempt to recognize the contents of the window which contains the image from the open .png file. It is very important to remember that your results will most likely be inferior to what you would achieve using the Recognize With JAWS command in JAWS version 2018. Using convenient OCR in JAWS 2017, not only does the quality of the print in the image, and the quality of the image itself affect the ocr results, The monitor resolution used will also affect the success of the ocr process.

Below, I have pasted an excerpt from the JAWS 2018 "What's New" file with more information about the enhancements made to Convenient OCR. The second paragraph below contains information about recognizing image files.

Convenient OCR Adds Support for Freedom Scientific Cameras and Flatbed Scanners

The Convenient OCR (Optical Character Recognition) feature, which enables you to recognize the text of inaccessible PDF documents opened in Adobe Reader or the text of images on the screen, has been expanded to support the recognition of image files as well as images captured by Freedom Scientific's PEARL® reading camera or a flatbed scanner. The PEARL is a highly portable document camera that allows you to capture and recognize a page within seconds, and also features an automatic mode that senses motion which causes it to capture an image whenever a page is turned.

To recognize text in image files saved as BMP, JPG, JPEG, GIF, TIF, TIFF, PNG, PCX, or PDF, press the layered keystrokes INSERT+SPACEBAR, O, F while focused on the specific file in File Explorer or on the Desktop. The recognized text will be displayed in the results viewer where you can use standard reading commands to review the text or select and copy it to other applications. Alternatively, press the APPLICATIONS key to open the context menu and choose "Recognize File with JAWS," or "Recognize File with Fusion" if Fusion is running.
Note: If JAWS is not able to perform OCR on a PDF due to its security settings, try opening the PDF in Adobe Reader and then use the INSERT+SPACEBAR, O, D command to recognize PDF documents.

To acquire and read a document with the PEARL camera, position a page under the camera aligned with the page guide, and then press the layered keystrokes INSERT+SPACEBAR, O, A. This will open the new Camera and Scanner Recognition dialog box and if you have a PEARL USB camera plugged in, it will be the default option. Just press ENTER to start the single page capture and OCR. After a few seconds, the recognition is complete and JAWS displays the text in the Results Viewer where you can use standard reading commands to review the text or select and copy it to other applications.
Note: The field of view that can be captured by the PEARL is 9 inches by 12 inches.

To recognize multiple images, after pressing INSERT+SPACEBAR, O, A, you will want to select the Motion Detect Multi-Page Recognition check box before pressing the Acquire button to start capturing documents. When you hear JAWS play a camera shudder sound, the current image has been captured and you can place a new page under the camera or turn the page in a book. Once the PEARL no longer detects motion, the next image is captured and recognized. Once you are finished recognizing pages, press INSERT+SPACEBAR, O, A again to stop recognition. You can also select the Timeout check box to have recognition stop automatically if the PEARL detects no motion for 30 seconds.

To acquire an image from a scanner, place the page on the scanner bed then press INSERT+SPACEBAR, O, A to open the Camera and Scanner Recognition dialog box. Make sure your scanner is selected in the Cameras and Scanners combo box and then choose the Acquire button to begin the recognition process. Once recognition is complete, JAWS displays the text in the Results Viewer where you can use standard reading commands to review the text or select and copy it to other applications. If your scanner includes an auto document feeder, select the Use auto-document feed, if available check box to scan and recognize multiple pages.
When capturing from the PEARL or a scanner, JAWS also announces the page orientation such as "sideways", "upside down", or "right side up." This is especially helpful for users who need to make sure a page is positioned correctly for folding and inserting into an envelope so the correct information is showing through the window.

Best regards,

Ron Miller

VFO™ | Low Vision and Blindness Hardware Support Manager

11800 31st Court North, St. Petersburg, FL 33716

T 727-803-8000 Ext. 1171

F 727-803-8001

Direct Line 727-299-6208

SKYPE RMiller171