It will also work on a closed message too at least on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 6, 2016, at 2:10 PM, JIM HAMILTON <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Re-forwarding a text message on an iPhone 6s be sure to open the text message before swiping one finger up or down

When the message is open swipe one finger up or down and you will hear two choices. One of these choices is more

Do a one finger double tap when you hear more. At the bottom of the message, you will then have two choices, delete and forward

You can take it from there

Jim H

Sent from Jim's iPhone