In a message dated 5/11/2014 12:02:53 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Hmmm.  Sort of. You have a specific vault in mind? Or, are you curious
about the  iconic herring-bone pattern of tiles?
I have no vault in mind.   I just wonder why I have never seen an  example
of that kind of failure on the typical Guastavino, thin-shell tile  peeling
away from the underside of the vault.  It's not like the tiles are  wedged
in place, like voussoirs, I don't think.   They are just glued  in place, and
they've been fighting gravity for a century.

Christopher