In a message dated 2/23/2014 10:15:18 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

A  good example of a cornice paying the bills, and an excellent detail of a
 functional way to protect the facade from the elements.

Beautiful.  Where is that?   Wainwright?  Buffalo?    But ... just how far
down is that  "protecting" the facade?   Three stories?  Five?   And  if
Sullivan had said, "oh, let's have no cornice this time" - would the owner
have objected?   Or, vice-versa, would Sullivan have objected?   Lots of his
Prairie banks have no cornice whatsoever.

And then there is Daniel "Mr. Bottom Line"  Burnham's insurance building at
80 Maiden Lane - am I still not supposed to post  photographs in emails? -
which I will post shortly on the streetscapes facebook  page - what
possessed Burnham to completely eliminate the cornice on a 25+ story  building?

Pictures are posted on FB at
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Christopher-Grays-weekly-Streetscapes-column/138129482900304.

Christopher