ARREST HIM, HE IS A CRAZY MAN: HOW I WAS BETRAYED OVER THE PRESIDENTIAL TOUR 2013!

ARREST HIM, HE IS A CRAZY MAN: HOW I WAS BETRAYED OVER THE PRESIDENTIAL TOUR 2013!

By Prince Bubacarr Aminata Sankanu, Sotuma Sere, Jimara, URR, The Gambia

I want to start by thanking all my fans, families and friends at home and abroad for standing by me during my arrest at Gambissara and detention at the Bakadaji Police Station on Wednesday June 12, 2013. I thank all the online, social, broadcast and print media houses through their editors, moderators and publishers for keeping the heat on. My sincere gratitude goes to all the international organizations or groups and advocates of civil liberties that wasted no time in mobilizing the requisite global public opinion on my behalf.  The members of my German Pirate Party in Cologne wasted no time in activating solidarity action for me. To my critics and detractors, I say a big thank you for your field day of calling me all sorts of names.

I thank and reaffirm my endorsement of, and solidarity with, President Jammeh of The Gambia for swiftly ordering my immediate release from detention. He was not aware of my detention but the moment he got the balanced security report, he ordered for my immediate release.

So far unruly elements of The Gambian security system have been disturbing for no reason. There is no directive given to uniformed or uniform security outfits to disturb me but some are taking the law into their own hands whenever they see me near an APRC or Jammeh Government gathering.  I therefore indulge the kind attention of President Jammeh and the Gambian National Security Council to direct their state security people, official and unofficial alike, to leave me a lone. The chicanery should be stopped in the name of national peace. The former Presidential Affairs Minister Dr. Njogu Bah once told me live at the funeral of the late GRTS DG Momodu Sanyang: “the guy am monitoring.” Officially correct or wrong, after spending eight months in The Gambia, I do not think genuine Gambian security apparatuses would report that I have been involved in illicit or subversive activities that are detrimental to the state interests. I am a prominent citizen with a visible name and face. Anything I do easily comes to the surface. If I cannot get support for the productive ventures I set out to do in the Gambia and wrote directly to President Jammeh about them, I should just be left alone.

Before proceeding, I would like to congratulate my Baddibubka Sanawuo and fellow prolific writer Momodou Sabally on his promotion to the position of Acting Secretary General (SG). It is an advanced blank cheque of trust and confidence from the President of The Republic. Being at the centre of power is not an easy task anyway. I wish him a very successful tenure, with an enviable legacy, peace of mind, good health and protection from the machinations of evil and detractors. SG Sabally how can you take the title of “The Gambia’s Pen” without consulting your Sarahulleh man? It should be my title too as I am also an author of published magnum opus on Africa (just google, the Africans: a triple uselessness) and other publishable works (watch my GRTS interview with Malick Jones).  No worries. I recognize your title of “The Gambia’s Pen” while I take the title of “The Gambia’s Brain” in our common strive towards transforming The Gambia into a land of thinkers and innovators.

Had GRTS approved my proposed TV programmes, SG Momodou Sabally would have been one of my first guests for an educative battle of ideas that would have “wowed” the nation.

“I WANT YOU TO WORK WITH THE APRC”

These are the words from a prominent National Assembly Member (NAM) of the ruling APRC.  Of all the stalwarts of the ruling party, this man, has so far been the most welcoming, motivating and progressive guy I met. I withhold his name for now before he is victimized out of envy. So far many APRC top people and even senior government officials created the false impression that President Jammeh will either fire or demote them when they mention my names to him or are seen with me in public. This APRC NAM interacted with me openly at Kanilai and other places and I am yet to hear that he lost his status within the party and the National Assembly because of me. He felt very bad about my arrest and detention. Left to him, I would have long been on the official list of presidential tour delegates.

Though I said I am not going to be politically active in The Gambia, open-minded people like this APRC NAM could make me change my mind but I am being VERY careful. I am currently facing too much envy, sabotage and blockage in The Gambia as many people think I am here to take their jobs and privileges. The level of political maturity in our Gambia is not yet optimal for one to just jump into things like that.

My brief detention at the Bakadaji Police Station was another learning moment. At first the police were pumped with lies that I am a crazy person and the order to detain me came from the highest authority of the land. When the most senior police officer observed me, he communicated to his superior that I am mentally fit, very smart and well educated and I am just a victim of politics. He wanted to release me but he did not get the order from his immediate boss who was away.

The police officers were laughing over the lies that I am mentally sick. They said that they were brewing attaya green tea and observing me and could not read a single abnormal thing from my behavior. They even took the risk of leaving me a lone in the police compound free for hours and nothing happened. Will you leave a mad man alone for long or sit down with him without handcuffs and straightjacket and expect no trouble? As I was relaxing on the platform or bantaba and enjoying a cup of tee, a goat came to keep me company. It licked my feet and had great fun kicking them with its head and horns. I did not disrupt its fun as I started philosophizing on the relations between human beings and other creatures of nature.

As time moves, the police started sympathizing with me. They became my fans and gave me very good lessons about life that no university would give me. One old police officer told me that I am a political asset not just for my Jemara district but also for the country. I should expect more fights but he gave me some additional tips on how to prevail and stay resilient.

THE LIES AND POLITICS WITH THE OFFICAL LISTS OF DELEGATES FOR THE PRESIDENTIAL TOUR

Before embarking on my second working visit to The Gambia, I wrote to President Jammeh on the 4th of February and 6th March 2013 when I was in Germany. In that letter I expressed my interest in joining the next meet or dialogue with the people tour should it meet me in The Gambia. I told President Jammeh that he is the President of all Gambians and some marginalized communities, including mine, have been badmouthed and misrepresented far too long. They should be given the fair chance to be heard as they have proven their critics wrong in the last presidential, parliamentary and local government elections. They also allocated first class land to the President on a very enviable location.

Every reasonable government or presidential adviser will not hesitate to recommend the content of my letter and stated requests for approval as they will enrich the government but for whatever reason, I go no serious response. People are not just fighting my projects, they are blocking my access to President Jammeh as if he is their personal property they planted at State House like a robot that should just be functioning for them and their families or friends. When I came back to the Gambia on March 08, I studied the system and concluded that as long as some people are around to President Jammeh, he will not approve my letters no matter how good the contents will be for the country. I decided to maintain my patience, self-discipline and the security distance. Can you imagine? I have been in The Gambia since March quietly working on my mission. Instead of checking on me through my mobile phone numbers, email address, facebook pages or Sotuma Sere village address to know my location and state, some officials just minuted away that I left The Gambia!

Losing hope is no option for me. When  the Presidential tour was announced, I started working to have my names on the official lists just to save me from unnecessary harassments from security people. I contacted the officials I knew from the Office of The President but no response. I told myself in a system of fairness, my name should be among the top 50 official participants or delegates of the dialogue with the people tour as I expressed my interested far ahead of time. Just a day before the tour took off, I got a message from a senior official from State House that the official list for the tour comes from the APRC and I should contact the party. I told him to connect me since am still new in the country and not fully connected yet. He did not reply. I later contacted the APRC figure Fatoumatta Jahumpa Ceesay (FJC). She told me she would be going to Mali on an ECOWAS fact-finding mission and she might not be around for the dialogue with the people tour.

I took the initiative of meeting the APRC National Mobiliser Alhagie Yankuba Colley who doubles as the Lord Mayor of the Kanifing Municipality. He told me he gets the list from State House. I told him a State House official told me something different. Yankuba Colley then told me, it was late and he could do nothing for me though his body language showed he could still get me on the list if he had wanted.  The list is subject to modification since it is not a Bible or The Quran.

Mayor Colley claimed that Presidential Jammeh finalized the list and he could not go back to him. I told him I am no stranger to the Jammeh Administration. President Jammeh is a very reasonable and understanding man. If you tell him, the Sarahulleh man, Prince Bubacarr Aminata Sankanu, wants to officially join the tour he will approve it since I wrote to him about it in February and March 2013. I have a file in the Office of The President (ref: OP353/457/01/TEMP: (74)) that the current Cabinet Secretary and his Deputy are very familiar with though my stated requests are not being granted for reasons I cannot say. I told Yankuba Colley I will be very useful to the tour especially when we reach the Sarahulleh communities. I am also Sarahulleh Youth Development Ambassador carrying a very useful message for APRC and the Government. Yankuba Colley was talking as if moving mountain Kilimanjaro was easier than getting my name on the official list. I just thanked him and left.

Later I sent my frustration to the top State House official that I am confused by the gross insincerity. I FELT BERAYED! I did everything according to protocol and followed up things through the proper channels but one official will tell me this and another person will tell me that. It looks like some officials in Government or APRC cannot be upright men or women enough to tell the truth. It is no surprise that when some of them get fired or jailed, they get zero public sympathy.

I contacted the Director of Press and Public Relations of State House Madame Fatou Camara so she could at least include me in her official Press Corp list but I got no reply from her as well. I also contacted the Managing Director of The Daily Observer and again no response.

I then tried the Director General of GRTS Alhagie Lamin Manga but his line was busy throughout. Anyway communication between GRTS DG Manga and I broke down since the day a GRTS whistleblower opened a can of worms on the ugly side the national broadcaster. My last follow-up message on my programme proposals I sent to the GRTS DG, his Deputy and the Director of TV Programmes, after the whistleblower report, remains unanswered to date!

SURVING THE FIRST DAY OF THE PRESIDENTIAL TOUR

As I was not sure if I could still make it to the Presidential Tour, I did not formally announce it to my family and friends. My wife visited me in the evening. I just told her I would be traveling but I would call her the next day to confirm. I gave her money for her school fares and personal maintenance.

On the first day of the tour, I woke up of early, bathed, prayed, packed my things then told my brave host good bye. I boarded the commercial vehicle to Westfield and from there to Banjul. When I reached the State House gate reception, I told the Security people that I want to be part of the tour. They said I should call the officials concerned so they could help me. Before I could use my phone I sought the permission from the military officials wearing the MP (Military Police) badges and they said I could use my phone. I then sat near a small canteen that specializes on food for the soldiers. I jokingly told the lady I want to buy breakfast but she caters only for the soldier and what those guys eat this early morning was too powerful for my stomach.

I continued using my phone to follow up. I sat at one place and made sure the soldiers were fully conscious of what I was doing. I contacted the Director of Press and Public Relations, the Cabinet Secretaries, the Chief of Protocol, The Managing Director of The Daily Observer and the APRC National Mobiliser again but no one of them responded.  I did not give up till I go to the Chief of Protocol who said the vehicles are in Barra and I should go there.

I wasted no time by walking straight towards the ferry terminal. On my way, a young man intercepted me and took me to the traditional boats.  We crossed to Barra early. There I asked for the most senior official in charge of security in the region and they directed me to one military commander. I told him about my wish to join the tour. I showed him my African Donso headgear that I will be wearing from time to time. He said I should notify all other security personnel on the various regions and if they tell me to remove the headgear, I should. I thanked him. He then told me, he got only security vehicles and they don’t carry civilians just like that but he connected me to an APRC man in charge of logistics. The guy was very arrogant towards me. He told me on my face that would not put me in a vehicle. I should pay my own fare in normal commercial vehicles from Barra to Farafenni!

Later the Minister of Health Bala Garba Jahumpa arrived and told him about my wish to be part of the tour. He said I can either wait for more officials from Banjul, the Governor of North Bank Region (NBR) or talk to Honourable Paul Mendy but I was later told that Honourable Mendy is dead! So I would have waited for a dead man to come and allocate me into a vehicle for the tour!

When the Governor of NBR arrived, I greeted and told him about by wish and that the State House protocol chief said I can join vehicles from there. The Governor said he got vehicle problems. His own vehicle broke down and he is moving on alternatives. He told me to join a pickup should I wish to. He directed his orderly to take me to one vehicle. I threw my luggage behind and driver was very supportive. I enjoyed his company to Farafenni.

As I was not yet fully embedded, I banked on my experience in the past presidential tours I participated in to swerve my way through. Experience taught me, the first day is always the most difficult and sensitive but once I survive it, I will make it through to the end of the tour. My priority was not to get too close to the presidential inner circle on that day but to get noticed buy the security. Once the security men and women got aware of my participation on the tour and my noble reasons, the rest will be smooth. I would be added to the updated official delegates list and I will be in a dedicated vehicle.

While we waited for the President to arrive, I went to the Internet café and posted the first report for the facebook social media. As expected the reactions were mixed in both negative and positive ones.

At Farafenni, Freedom Newspaper’s Editor MBai called me on the number that the whole world knew that is: 002206774620. He wanted to interview me on the tour. I told him for security reasons he should not. The tour just started and there was nothing substantial to report on. Should I grand him interview, I could be expelled from the tour and no one would gain from that. Though the message I would deliver in the interview will NOT be negative, some of the people who have been blocking my access to President Jammeh could misinterpret it and spread lies till I land into trouble. Talking to pro or anti government media is not the problem as long as one knows the kinds of message one has to deliver.

Since this level of understanding is however rare in The Gambia, once you talk to an anti Government paper even with a message that is favourable to the Government, some liars would start assassinating your character as a kind of enemy of the state.

I told Editor MBai to be reproducing the things I post on facebook. Later I will write a commentary or analysis on the tour for both the global and domestic media. He will get a copy for his readers.

“YOU GUYS ARE UNDERRATING ME”

Later that night at Farafenni, I accidentally met FJC at the hotel reserved for the top APRC figures and Government officials. I was there for dinner. I told FJC, I expected her in Mali. She said yes but her boss President Jammeh comes first and as such she cancelled Mali to be on the dialogue with the people’s tour. I told her I am still not on the official tour list and I not in any dedicated vehicle. Something should be done about thaty. I was tired and hungry. All of a sudden Yankuba Colley appeared. He was surprised to see me in Farafenni. We greed and I told him “you guys are underrating me!” I told him once we reach the Sarahulleh communities he would feel the value of my name and status for the tour party, once I speak. The Gambiassara drama later proved me right. Though I was blocked from speaking, I stole the show as I was the only subject for the people of Gambiassra, other Jimara communities and beyond. People did not care to know what the other speakers said at the Gambissara meeting.

Mayor Colley tried to protect himself by saying he underrates no one and that he could not just honour my request. Another senior government official who followed our conversation from his vehicle asked “are you the same Sankanu?” I said “yes.” He consoled me by saying dinner will be served soon. He drove off.

I had my dinner and also got a very good place to sleep through the NBR Governor who told me contact the local accommodation committee.

In the morning, I found myself taking breakfast in the company of the new protocol chief Batata Juwara inside the compound of the former chief. Batata told me he was appointed on the first day of the tour. It was a very interesting reunion. I told him, I am also on the tour. I was skipping Janjanbureh and proceeding to my home district of Jimara to mobilize the people and prepare for the Gambissara meeting. I will meet them in Basse to continue with the Presidential convoy towards the Kombos.

PREPARING FOR GAMBISSARA

When I saw the itinerary and realized that the number of stops this time is limited with Gambiassara being the only meeting place for the heart of the Sarahulleh nation, I decided that I should give it priority.

I asked my Community of Sotuma Sere on the preparations and they said they were on it. Many people said they would suspend their farm work to welcome The President through the village on the TransGambian Highway. They felt honoured that all the lies spread against us are crumbling and the President has as first class land piece of land in our community.

I contacted the Governor of Upper River Region (URR), Alhagie Omar Khan, who I was told prepares the final list of speakers. I told him, I would like to speak not just for my Sarahulleh Community of Sotuma Sere but also for the influential Sarahulleh Youths groups that made me Ambassador. I have an important message. This constituent should not be ignored, marginalized or angered as the results of the last Basse parliamentary election showed what they are capable of doing politically.

I talked to our Jimara APRC NAM Habiboulie Jawo. He was supportive but very careful.

I also talked to the now sacked Jimara Chief Hagie Kule Camara. Our Sotuma Sere Village Alkalo personally told Hagie Kule that our community identified me to speak on its behalf at Gambissara. The former chief was hypocritical. When I arrived at my village straight from Farafenni, he came to our compound and we went into my mother’s apartment. He was saying all kinds of things and bluffing that he is the son of a grand marabout.  When I empathized that I would speak at Gambissara, he said the President will make a brief stop over at Sotuma Sere to inspect the land allocated him. My community and I should speak there and not at Gambissara. He thought we were dumb.  I saw the official itinerary and there was nothing like brief stop at Sotuma Sere.

I later contacted the URR Governor Omar Khan again. He told me he got my message but he was too busy. I told him I was on the standby at Sotuma Sere and mobilizing the people. Our Jimara NAM Habiboulie Jawo passed by to exchange greetings before proceeding to other engagements.

The ex-chief later came to collect me. We were supposed to meet the grand mrabout of Gambissara Alhagie Mpakary (Abubacarr) Conteh after Maghreb prayers. I was named after him and he is also my extended grandfather. When he came to Kombos last May for eye treatment, I went to greet him at Kanifing where he lodged. I can access him whenever I seriously feel like.  The ex-chief Hagie Kule Camara claimed that the old man said it was too late but we could meet one of his aides. I gave him the benefit of the doubt. That aide Sara Conteh came to meet us at the ex-chief’s compound in Numuyel. The guy spent some time in the German-peaking part of Switzerland. We communicated well in German.

He first started to complain about the article I wrote on the Sarahullehs. I told him, I am above all a public intellectual and social critic. I have to provoke discourse. I have no control over how people interpret what I say or write. I also told him, I will be seen as a hypocrite when I write thought-provoking commentaries on various issues and entities and spare my own Sarahulleh people. I have to be fair by writing on those backward things that would be arresting the development of the Sarahullehs. He later understood me and then told me the level of understanding in our society is too low for my writings. We also lamented the general lack of truth in our society. Many things are going wrong in local communities nationwide but when one talks one will be damaged or destroyed. We later agreed that I will speak at Gambissara and also meet my namesake the grand marabout for the usual grandson-grandfather pleasantries.

THE SYMBOLIC HEAVY RAINS OF JUNE 11 THAT WILL CLEANSE THE NATION

As we were having our three-party meeting between the ex-chief Hajie Kule Camara, the aide of my name sake the grand marabout of Gambissara and my self, it started raining heavily. I told the ex-chief, it was great that we had this rain. The next day will be free. I also told him this rain will cleanse the nation of evil deeds and irresponsible people. It will wash away all persons and entities that have bad intentions. I also told him, I was happy President Jammeh would be entering a cleansed Jimara and URR. The chief looked surprised but just said I was right. When the ex-chief was fired, my mind went to the symbolic rain.

In the morning of Wednesday June 12, the ex-chief came to our village. He told me a vehicle would come to pick me.  Some of his people came but no free vehicle. My people volunteered to provide me a vehicle that will take me to the CRR-URR border, Gambissara and to Basse before I re-join the presidential convoy for the Kombos. He should just add up the fuel. Hagie Kule insisted that he arranged a vehicle for me and that he would only buy fuel for the motorbikes.

When the vehicle he claimed to have arranged failed to come, he told me to join his own vehicle and we drove to the URR-CRR border. There I met the URR Governor Omar Khan. I greeted and told him I was in the company of the ex-Jimara chief.

When the President’s convoy was approaching, all the top people in Jimara and URR lined up for the ceremonial a handshake with the President. I am also a prominent son of Jimara and URR and I should be on the line but the ex-chief said I should stand behind. My view was blocked by his district police and the paramilitary. I obeyed. My own concern was the Presidential Security. I did put on my African headgear. All the security personnel, unformed and uniformed, saw it on my head and did not tell me to remove it. No one asked me to leave.

I stood peacefully behind as President Jammeh was talking and shaking hands.   His close protection soldiers passed by me but one of them disturbed me. I later ran towards chief vehicle so that we could be at Gambissara on time.

On our way past the various Jimara villages people were sitting down. Only some kids were standing. The ex-chief was discouraged. He was shouting in Fula and Mandinka out of his car that people should get up and come out as the President was coming.

When we reached my Community of Sotuma Sere, there was no need for that. I did my mobilization homework. Those who were to go to their farms took a break to welcome the presidential convoy. On the road from URR-CRR border to Gambissara there were more people out at Sotume Sere than all the other places. I called one of the local APRC people in my village and told him in Sarahulleh, “you took first!” The ex-chief did not like that!

When we passed by the junction to the ex-chief’s village of Numuyel only some school kids came out.

FED TO THE SHARKS AT GAMBISSARA

Once we reached Gambissara, the ex-chief became another person. He told me straight on my face, “stop following me! Go find your own place to seat!” I was shocked but I respected him and thus obyed just as he told me to stay away from the President’s eye sight at the URR boundary and when he sabotaged my meeting with my namesake the grand marabout of Gambissara.

As I was walking towards the shaded area, people were calling my name. It is almost 17 years since I last visited Gambissara but I was easily recognized and became an instant celebrity.

I passed by the team of ministers and APRC people who took their seats and were waiting for the President. I waved them but the ministers were frowning like pampered kids forced into the tour against their will.

I decided to go behind them were the atmosphere was livelier. I met tour delegates who had breakfast with me at Farafenni. All of a sudden, an NIA (National Intelligence Agency) official came and spoil our fun. He told us to keep the place free. He recognized my face and called my name “SANKANU!” I explained myself that I was in the company of the ex-Jimara chief Hagie Kule Camara. The URR Governor is also aware. The ex-chief said I should look for a place on my own. The NIA officer then told me to look for another place.

While obeying, I met the Sarahulleh man who would do the interpretation; I told him I was supposed to speak for my community and the Sarahulleh youths. My speech would be dotted with quotations from the Quran. I wanted to prepare him for that. He said no problem; I should not stand far away so that when I am called, I can be near the microphones on time.

I stood near some urban APRC women leaders who recognized me from our  last Kanilai meeting. We exchanged pleasantries and I told them, should the Chief of Protocol not put be in a dedicated vehicle from Basse through the rest of tour, I will join their vehicle so they should reserve a place.

Again, the NIA man came to trouble me. He said I should take him to the ex- Jimara chief. I followed him. People were looking at me like a superstar being escorted by security. On the way I met that APRC man who refused to put me in vehicle  from Barra against the advice of a State House official. He was surprised to see me at Gambiassara though. I just greeted him but he frowned. We met the ex-chief and he refused to be clear. He told the NIA, that I am an International Journalist here to cover the tour. He refused to say that I was there to also speak for my community. He did not give the clear information to the NIA to help me get a good place. When NIA asked if should speak, he did not come straight. He said my name is on big paper for the speakers.

The NIA guy told me to follow him to a quite area. Another NIA officer saw us. He wanted to join us but once he recognized my face, he called me “SANKANU” and told the other guy in Mandinka, to go with me. He disappeared. At the quite area, NIA started questioning me. No one gave him the order to do that. He wanted to know that how I was there to cover the tour. I shook my head in disbelief. Even if I am out to cover the tour for the media, the government should celebrate. There is nothing criminal or illegal about out. I told the NIA, my primary objective at Gambiassara was to speak for my marginalized community of Sotuma Sere and the Sarahulleh Youths who made me Ambassador. Covering the tour is secondary. I would write a commentary on it later. The NIA officer then left me  saying he would come back.

I tried to get good standing position but no chance. I found myself in the midst of madrassa students some of whom recognized me and were calling my name. All of sudden, the ex-chief passed by. I shouted to stop him. I told him that I was in a very bad location and he should do something. When my turn to speak comes, I wont make it from the place I found myself. He declined to help.

A little while later, President Jammeh arrived. As he was passing by the madrassa kid, they rushed to greet him and the presidential security guys were sweating to let some through to shake the President’s had. I was pushed along till I fall towards the front. A soldier sho saw me falling grabbed me. I told him I was pushed. He should help  meget my mobile phone and spectacles. The soldier said he could not and he handed me over to the paramilitary (Police Intervention Unit) guys. I was then left a lone. As the commotion subsided, I looked around but could not see my phone and eyeshade but I recovered my African headgear and stuffed it into my pocket.

ARREST HIM, HE IS A CRAYZ MAN!

As I was taking my position and cleaning my clothes, I heard some one shouting arrest him..... A team of paramilitary officers then fell over me and started abusing me verbally. They have a bad record in URR as they killed human being in Numuyel extra-judicially. I told  them there was misunderstanding. I am a responsible citizen. I was selected by my community to speak at Gambissara. The paramilitary said I should keep quite. I did not. When they said A, I said B. I was not afraid. I was arrested together an ustass from the madrassa for no reason. The ustass was full of fear and he was begging me to calm down. I told him, I have not done anything wrong. One parliamentary officer started searching me. I told him, he was wasting his time as he would never find anything incriminating on me. He told me to keep quite and I refused. He later pushed into to their vehicle. He wanted to close the door to make it a temporal prison cell without court order. I protested that it was too hot and very inhuman to lock me up in a vehicle that was not moving. I put my leg before the door to keep it open. Realizing that they would have to beat me or break my legs to close the door, another paramilitary officer told me he would not close the door. I did not trust him and kept my leg were it was. I requested him to contact the URR Governor and the ex-Jemara chief. He left. I started dehydrating due to the heat and the fact that I was just recovering from illness.

Later two police men came to take me from the paramilitary. They told he they got instruction to take me along. The officers were surprised. They called their senior that there were told arrest a crazy man but there was no crazy person atround. When the officers were told I Prince Bubacarr Aminata Sankanu was supposed to be the crazy person, their moods changed. The transferred me into a police vehicle. I told them my folder was inside the vehicle of the ex Jimara chief and they should help me get it. I have powerful documents in there to set me free.

They calmed me and told me to just follow them. As my villagers and APRC members were arriving at Gambissara, I shouted for them. I told them in Sarahulleh “we have been betrayed.” All the people from my Sotuma Sere community who came to Gambissara quickly gathered at one place and returned to the village immediately.

As the police vehicle drive, we passed by the new wife of the ex-chief who served me dinner before. She was surprised to see me in a vehicle. I told her in Sarahulleh, “I am arrested for no reason” and she should tell her husband. She later told my people she could not reach her husband that day.

AT BAKADAJI WITH RESPECT

Once we reached the Bakadji Police Station, the senior officer to his colleague to book our arrival. I was called to confirm my names. My diary and German passport were seized.

I sat with the police men and women under a mango tree opposite the police station. They invited me for lunch. It was very balanced and well-cooked but I had no appetite. Later we sat and they served attaya. I also gave money for more attaya. They told me they bought more already but I told them keep the money I contributed for later.

The police offciers were laughing when they were told that I am was crazy. They said if I were mad, not one can see it. They have been detaining all kinds of people and they have the street credibility to say who is mentally sound or sick.

When my community members came to visit me, the first thing I told them was that the order to arrest and detain me DID NOT come from President Jammeh. No one should blame it. They should still come out in full force when the President would be returning to the Kombos on Friday. They also connected me to my mother and I calmed her through the phone.

 All of a sudden the news of my detention reached the four corners of the world. Concerned family members relatives, fans and colleagues were calling me from the numbers of the people who visited me.

Later that same day, A CID (Criminal Investigation Department) officer came to interview me. I explained everything and told him why the people were very angry.

At night, Freedom Newspaper Editor MBai called me through the phone of someone who came to visit me and he interviewed me. He got the interview of the decade!

The police served me dinner and brewed more attaya. I was relaxing on the platform or bantaba with the police chief. Before bedtime, he called his senior to know my fate but he said he got no orders to release me so I had to spend the night with them.

Later my people came again and our Jimara NAM Habibou Jawo also came to visit me. He regretted the unfortunate incident. I thanked NAM for taking time to visit me even though he could not do much. I was surprised that the ex chief refused to come and visit me. He asked to be connected via phone to the police station chief. He said I could be released when President Jammeh leaves URR because the order to detain me came from above. My people went home with that message.

They later told me the chief was not straight forward. He would tell his confidents and friends “that young man was to be arrested, I will tell you more later.” When my people confronted him, he would say my detention was authorized from within the presidential inner circle.

But the next day, after lunch, we were brewing attaya and all of a sudden a phone call came in that I should be released immediately. The police returned my German passport and diary without delay. They wanted to give me fare to my village but I told them I go some cash with me to cover the trip.

A BREAK FROM THE TOUR …CRAZINESS IS NO CRIME, AFTER ALL!

After my movie-like experience, I decided to voluntarily withdraw from the tour to relax at my pollution-free village of Sotuma Sere.

I also took time to address key issues with my community and the surrounding ones of Jimara. Everybody is hoping that since President Jammeh is a listening president, I will be given the chance to deliver the important message I could not at Gambissara. I found myself doing political damage control.

When I posted on facebook social media that I planned to rejoin the dialogue with the peoples tour, my critics questioned it. I said I joined the tour to analyze it in a balance commentary and to also deliver a message on behalf of my community and the youths who made me ambassador. I should therefore conclude the tour if not in Serekunda then at Banjul when am included in the updated delegates list. I do not look like a coward who easily gives up. They said I am certainly not a coward but may be crazy.

I am super smart, super intelligent and too brave for most people hence I am often labeled crazy. All the great thinkers and innovators of human development from Leonardo Da Vince, Mahtma Gandi, Martin Lurther King Junior, Wole Soyinka, Albert Einstein, Kwame Nrumah, Sering Bamba, Titina Sylla, Steve Jobs, you count the rest, were at different stages of their respective lives insulted as crazy. I therefore feel honoured for being induced into the same hall of fame for intellectual craziness.

I made history as the first Gambian public intellectual to be arrested and detained for supposed craziness!

Even I were truly crazy according to standard mental health definition, there is no section of The Gambian penal code that makes craziness a punishable crime. Don’t laugh!

CONCLUSION

Since my access to President Jammeh have been repeated blocked without the knowledge or order of the President, I maintained my discipline and avoided forcing myself onto the Presidential inner circle. This is why during the Presidential dialogue with the people tour I chose to be near the advance party.

But from the little I could observe, I can say President Jammeh is a listening President and a Servant Leader. He takes the problems of the common people, especially the farmers personally. The problem lies in the implementation deficit.

Some Government officials spend most of their time fighting each other through marabouts rather than performing their duties. At the end of the day, the blame for government or project failure would go to Presdient Jammeh. At times it is understandable when he starts firing people left and right. The fired officers who perform well and were innocent get public sympathy and a second chance. The ones who abuse their offices, get no public support.

The interpretation I gave to the heavy rains of June 11 as water for cleansing and purifying the nation is indeed proving right. Heads are rolling out of the various public offices and the monitored reactions from the public are those of relief and joy. Before when President Jammeh starts firing people, he got the blame but now what I gathered is that sacked officials often “deserve what they get due to their arrogance and gross abuse of office when they are enjoying.” The tax budrden is also making the public less sympathetic and most people would tell me their taxes are being wasted by public officials through expensive vehicles travel allowances, unnecessary conference tourism, lethargy, nepotism and leisure.

As I endorse President Jammeh and his Government out of principles and the quest for a reasonable state, I share the moral responsibilities for the successes and failures of the Jammeh Government. Though I am being blocked on all angels-my film project and assistance request, my GRTS interview and TV programme proposals, my audience request with the President, official participation request for the dialogue with the people tour and unauthorized harassment by plain clothed NIAs and the like - I feel justified that I am here to do the right thing and contribute my quota towards national development.

I have been encouraged not to give up and I will not. Even if should travel out of the country, “I will be back” to quote Arnold Schwarzegger. Nothing good comes easily. When Youssou Ndour wanted to set up his own TV station in Senegal, he faced blockade, character assassination, lies, envy, ridicule, insults and frustrations but he prevailed. Those who used their offices or societal influences to waste his time have long lost their relevance in Senegalese national decision making process. Who am I to expect an easy ride in a Gambia were destruction of talent is common sports? For sure I have alternatives worldwide and I can afford to lead the life of a global trotting modern nomad for the rest of my lifetime without setting foot into the Gambia but The Gambia is my home of origin too and I have the god-dammed right to participate actively in the development of the country. Those who don’t like it should just fight to have my Gambian citizenship nullified.

I am a living testimony and an unofficial ambassador of President Jammeh magnanimity. Contrary to claims, I have been jetting in and out of the Gambia without official order to arrest, prosecute, kill, torture or humiliate me. Those NIAs and other security people harassing me are acting without order from President Jammeh. The civilian officials blocking me are acting out of envy and sheer malice.

Anyway, the swift, viral, synchronized and heated global reactions to my arrest and detention have once again confirm that I am still relevant. They have proven once more that the world is indeed closely watching and feeling The Gambian temperature with public intellectuals and social critics like me serving as living barometres.

I am signing off by dedicating my movie-like experience and this commentary to all my fans and sympathizers at home and abroad and to President Jammeh. It was through his Presidential Dialogue With The People’s Tour that I got this enviable adventure that my grandchildren will enjoy hearing.

Xa Nawari

PRINCE BUBACARR AMINATA SANKANU, “THE GAMBIA’S BRAIN”

THE PRINCE OF SANKANURA-KAGORTA

Email: [log in to unmask]

TEL/ SMS +2209353430 or 6774620 (reactivation  of the second lost number in progress)

SOTUMA SERE VILLAGE,360 KM FROM BANJUL, IN JIMARA, URR

Forgive the typos