Indeed Daffeh. Sharia is a part of the lives of many Gambian muslims and there are of course the Qadi courts that try cases between Muslims according to Sharia Law. This qualification you refer to is very important; but it did not strike my mind at the time of writing. Should I do a more comprehensive study of Islam in The Gambia, I will be sure to include it. Thanks for pointing it out.

Regards,
Baba

Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 11:40:50 -0700
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [G_L] Gambia: Why Sharia is not an option
To: [log in to unmask]

Dr Jallow,

I think it is worth noting that Sharia is and has always been part of the Laws of The Gambia albeit limited to marriage and inheritance. I didn't see this qualification in your piece. It is one thing to have Sharia but another to turn the country into a theocracy based on the dictates of Sharia. As you have rightly stated, that would be outlandish and likely to provoke a backlash.

Cheers
Daffeh