Hello Drum and Dance Enthusiasts!

Happy new year everyone!

Mandjou and I had an amazing time with our students on this year’s trip to Guinea. We drummed, danced, ate and ate, went to dundunbas and other ceremonies, and experienced the rich culture of Guinea. Check out some photos from our trip here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150505152363163&set=a.10150505149388163.372672.282276363162&type=3&theater
If you are considering coming next year, start saving now.  Even if you don’t come, you’ll have some money saved. And if you do, you’ll have a wonderful cultural experience, and your drumming and dancing will come to a new level.

Now though, we’re back from Guinea and ready to get rid of the winter chill with hot rhythms and dancing. Read on to find out about drum classes, dance classes for adults and kids, and a Slow Food dinner to benefit Sierra Leone.

Wishing you a year of drumming and dancing,
Maya and Mandjou
Please let us know if you'd like to be removed from this list!

Never tried African Dance? Here's your chance.
Maya teaches a beginning West African Dance class on Wed. nights from 6-7:30. It's fun, great exercise, low stress and includes live drumming. Registration ends tomorrow, so register today, and dance your winter blues away.
http://www.dcs.wisc.edu/classes/dance.htm

Friday drum classes start this week!
Mandjou Mara is back from Guinea and wants to drum with you this Friday, Jan 27th.
5:30-7:00 p.m., convenient Eastside location
Drop-in $18, student $16
Block of 6 classes/$90, student 6/$72; (use blocks within 2 months)
Please contact us prior to your first class for details!
http://www.mandjoumaradjembefola.com/african_drum_classes

African Dance Classes Tuesdays 7:30-9:00 p.m. with Maya Kadakia
Drop-in class at Center for Conscious Living, 849 E. Washington Ave., Suite 118, Madison, WI
First Class FREE! Learn dances from Guinea and Mali, Drumming by Manjou Mara and friends.

African Dance Classes Thursdays 7:30 - 8:30 p.m. with Otehlia Cassidy.
Drop-in class at Dance Fabulous w/ live drumming led by Paddy Cassidy and crew.
401 N. Lake Street, Madison, WI
Otehlia is excited to be sharing many of the rhythms she learned on her trip to Mali, and throws in other West African rhythms, as well. All levels welcome!

Slow Food Dinner, African-style Jan 30 to benefit AfricaPacs
You are invited to an eclectic African style dinner featuring delicious food from Sierra Leone, SeneGambia, Guinea, Mali,Cameroon and PanAfrican DJ Music with DJ Sean T. http://www.pacsafrica.org  It promises to be a great evening for fun, relaxation, good food and music to support a great cause.
Please RSVP Here!!! http://slowfooduw.org/special-fdn-week /http://www.doodle.com/pkpzxbe8an3a9wy9#table
Monday, January 30, 5 pm and 7 pm
Crossing Building, 1127 University Ave (Intersection of Charter and University Ave) - Next to Chemistry Dept.
$5 and up for donations
All proceeds and generous donations will go towards supporting sustainable community-school partnership projects in Sierra Leone. Bring your family and friends!!!

African Dance Class for Kids at the Madison Children’s Museum
Saturdays, January 14-February 18, 3:30-4:30p.m.
Cost: $48/child (six-week session); scholarship rate available for Family Access members
Registration:608.256.6445ext.156, or email [log in to unmask]
Sheba McCants and Yorel Lashley, director of Madison’s Drum Power program, lead an interactive dance class with live drumming accompaniment.
Recommended for ages 5 & up.
Find a complete schedule of the museum’s winter programs at http://www.madisonchildrensmuseum.org

Online Djembe instructional videos w/ Paddy Cassidy
http://www.djembefola.com/lessons.
This is a new instructional video series for djembe and dunun, taught by Paddy Cassidy. The videos are excellent quality, and downloadable instantly! There's no shipping charge or long wait.
Go to: http://www.djembefola.com/lessons