Sherry, if you have either Kurzweil or Openbook on your computer you should be able to access their onboard OCR service without even having to print the document.

With the Adobe document open you will press Control P as if you were going to print it, however in the list of printers you should find one called the Freedom Import Printer if you use Openbook, and something like the Kels Printer if you use Kurzweil.  Highlight this printer and click OK, and the file will be sent to Openbook/Kurzweil for instant recognition of the text.

You can also do this from Openbook, however I'm not sure about Kurzweil as I've not tried it.  In Openbook you simply access the File Menu and the Open Dialog box, then navigate to the PDF file you wish to convert and click OK.  Once again, Openbook will perform the OCR procedure and give you access to the text.

Thx, Albert

From: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sherry Wells
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 9:32 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [VICUG-L] Adobe

Lots of times when I open a doc in Adobe, Jaws says empty document but I can see there is something there.  Sometimes Jaws will still read it, sometimes not.

Regards,
Sherry Wells

Clark Friedrichs <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List" <[log in to unmask]>

04/13/2011 10:17 AM

Please respond to
Clark Friedrichs <[log in to unmask]>

cc
Subject
[VICUG-L] Adobe

Folks,

Why is it that sometimes I get "Empty Document" when attempting to open a PDF document with Adobe Reader X but it opens fine with Kurzweil 1000?
Using:  Windows 7/64 bit and JAWS 12

Thanks.

-----
Clark Friedrichs /

Leave list: [log in to unmask]

VICUG-L is archived on the World Wide Web at http://listserv.i cors.or g/archives/vicug-l.html

Send questions on list operation to [log in to unmask]

Leave list: [log in to unmask]

VICUG-L is archived on the World Wide Web at http://listserv.i cors.or g/archives/vicug-l.html

Send questions on list operation to [log in to unmask] No virus found in this incoming message.