David was a champion of trusting historic engineering when it failed to meet our new codes and standards. He understood much of what we used to be capable of has been lost to progress. One of the (many) things I learned from him was during the PTN/TFG workshop we held at Shelburne Farms last June as part of the restoration of the incredible Breeding Barn. He pointed out that we no longer have the skill to forge iron by hand like the tradespeople of the late 19th century and that we have lost the art of "hot riveting". Today we connect iron and steel with bolts with questionable shear strength. David wanted to relearn those skills and preserve the past "One Hot Rivet at a Time!"

Rude E
Helping put the *Shine* on HP