luke 14:25. Now, many crowds were journeying along with Him. And having turned around, He said to them, 26 If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters in the event that they become hindrances to his supreme love for me, yes, moreover also his own life in the same manner, he is not able to be my disciple. 27 And whoever is not taking up and carrying his own cross and coming after me, is not able to be my disciple. 28 For, who is there of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first, having seated himself, compute the expense, whether he has sufficient resources for its completion, 29 lest perchance, having laid the foundation and not being able to complete it entirely, all who examine it with a view to carefully observing its details should begin to be mocking, 30 saying, This man began building operations and did not have sufficient resources to complete them entirely? -- Wuest

I think John Schwery pretty well nailed it when he said that it relates to the importance of God having first place in our life and thinking. We tend to associate emotions with the words "love" and "hate". Ask yourself, What is the absence of love? Comparatively speaking, it is hate.

Another concept we read about in the Bible is idolatry. Anything that is more important in our life than God is an idol. That means that we selfishly sacrifice our relationship to God for family, things, personal advantage or men's praise. When we do that are we not hating God in a sense?

Speaking of which, what about the statement in First John 4"20? If anyone says, I am constantly loving God, and is as constantly hating his brother, he is a liar. For the one who is not constantly loving his brother whom he has seen with discernment and at present has within the range of his vision, God whom he has not seen with discernment and at present does not have within the range of his vision he is not able to be loving.

The first passage is speaking of discipleship and the extent of the commitment required, whereas, the second passage is speaking of the reality in practical Christian living. Both relate to one's relationship to God but in different areas. The first asks, How committed are you? The second asks the question, How real is your day-to-day Christian life?

Contrasts are found throughout Scripture. We must recognize them for what they are and interpret them within the context where they are found. In that period of time in the Gospels, most of the crowd did not believe or commit themselves to Jesus (cf John 6:66). Today, we asked the question of those in the crowd, "Will you believe that Christ died for your sins, was buried and rose again the third day?" Sad to say, most will not commit themselves to that life saving principle. Consequently, they hate God, even though they may like church and talk about religious things.

Thus, we first have commitment, and then the evidence of reality in the true believer's life.

Listening for His shout!

Grant
Bartimaeus Alliance of the Blind, Inc.
Phone:  650-589-6890
Magic Jack:  650-754-4207 (when my PC is on)
Email:  [log in to unmask]
Website:  http://bartimaeus.us/

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5535 (20101015) __________

http://www.eset.com