B72 is a copolymer resin that is primarily used in art, architectural and artifacts conservation as an adhesive and a consolidant of powdery surfaces.  It probably has some water repellent properties as well.  I don’t see a problem per se with exterior use.  Its glass transition is relatively high, but you can also increase it by mixing it with other types of resins.  B72 is used in solution, and the concentration of the solution will affect how far it penetrates into a substrate.  B72 is probably more permeable than the paint, so vapor permeability is not likely an issue.  You can find out more about B72 and other materials through the website of the American Institute for the Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works (AIC): www.conservation-us.org.  From that website you can search the Journal of the American Institute for Conservation for articles on B72, mural conservation, etc.

The key to this issue is understanding the paint layers—what they are comprised of (likely an oil or alkyd binder with lead pigments), how many layers there are, and what the nature of the deterioration is.  Your best bet is to consult with a mural or paintings conservator, who will have a grasp on what different treatments will do with respect to the paint and the substrate (penetration, adhesion, differential expansion/contraction, re-treatability, etc.).

Mary E. Slater

Associate | Architectural Conservator

ARCHITECTURAL RESOURCES GROUP, INC

Architects   Planners   Conservators

Pier 9, The Embarcadero, Suite 107 | San Francisco, CA 94111

415.421.1680 x246 | 415.421.0127 fax | [log in to unmask]

San Francisco | Pasadena | Portland

Celebrating 30 Years 1980 – 2010 | www.argsf.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This message is intended only for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited, and you are requested to please notify us immediately by telephone, and delete this message forthwith. Thank you for your cooperation.