Hi all!

Just thought I'd resend the message, since I've stripped out a lot of the greater thans:

Hi,

Okay, I'll try to write this up, but it's a tough write.

My husband, Art, is coming up on his 73rd B-Day at the end of this month. He's been a diabetic since he was 11 or so.  Over the past few years, he's been having problems with balance and has needed a cane to walk with; also, he's been having problems with arthritis in his hip.  He's been sleeping more and more, particularly over the last year, and within the last 6 or so months he's been having bouts of confusion and memory lapse.

The doc he was seeing had said, when approached about the balance and sleeping, that Art was getting older and these things happened.

Last week, things got really bad and I made an appointment with our new doc here in town.  The Lord spoke to me and nudged, no, urged me to look up Gabapentin, one of the meds Art's been taking since 1996 at a dose of 300 MG twice a day for a total of 600 MG a day.  What I read from ten different sources I did not like!  Every side effect and symptom was what Art was showing.  Furthermore, the documentation said that people with renal problems shouldn't take Gabapentin as it could be toxic.  Since Art's a diabetic, his kidneys aren't 100-percent, so this put up a red flag for me.

We saw his Doc on Monday and I laid everything out.  He Listened!  Most attentively! And agreed that we had to get Art off this stuff especially since he hadn't had neuropathy symptoms in years!  Unfortunately, Gabapentin can't be just pulled; it needs to be carefully "dialed down," as the doc says.  So, the process will take a couple of months.  The Doc wants to see Art next week to go over the blood work he took and to start appointments for physiotherapy.  The "Dialing down" has started and we will reduce him by
100 MG each week until he's off the stuff.  Doc wants to monitor him closely.

I praise God for this Doc who really listened and understood and wants to help.  I pray that Art will not have been permanently damaged by the Gabapentin.  I ask you to pray for his healing and my stress and patience levels.  It's rough, very rough, and if it weren't for my faith in God's awesome power, I'd be going nuts.

The confusion parts can be the worst with Art not sure how to check his blood sugar, something he's done for longer than I've been alive.  Also, things like not remembering if he's eaten and what he's eaten or if he's taken insulin...definitely rough to keep things together.

So, we both need and appreciate your prayers!  I believe God will heal Art and guide the Doc to help in the healing.

So, pray for the Doc, for me, and most of all for Art's healing.

Thanks,

Lee

Do not walk behind me,    | Lee Storm I may not care to lead;   | N2FGC Do not walk before me,    | [log in to unmask] (or) I may not care to follow; | [log in to unmask] Walk beside me, and be my friend.

Sharon
SkypeName:
sharon.hooley43