-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Mon, Jul 19, 2010 9:32 pm
Subject: [BP] stone steps

Mrs. Wife and I have had built a stone retaining wall, with a set of steps in the middle, down from the kitchen yard down to the drying yard.  Mrs Wife and yourself are also learning the English to speaking, yes?

To me, the steps appear to be dangerously uneven, widely varying in tread height, in tread depth, in surface, in position and in termination (where the last step feeds on to a sloped area of dirt, rather than a flat "landing pad."

I realize that, as with most things, I know nothing at all about steps. Au contraire, in view of Paragraph 2 above, it is clear that you know that for the safety of stair users it is essential that treads and risers be regular  I imagine there are guidelines for interior stairs.   Are there accepted practices for exterior steps?   The architect agrees with me that, were he to put these steps at the front door, they would be deemed unacceptable (but remains, so far, agnostic on these steps).

--

To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html