Hi,
I've never had problems with the Malicious Software Removal Tool screwing up audio players on my system either.  I usually apply Windows updates, but I don't mess around with driver updates for video and the like.  If I want a driver update for a piece of hardware, I'll go to the manufacturer's web site.

Tom

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Sun Sounds of Arizona
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 2:41 PM
  Subject: Re: [VICUG-L] what to do with windows updates?

  Harry,

  When you start that update process as you describe, they are all checked by default. If they are on the list, then they are already checked. So, just hit the space bar on any item you don't want, and it will be unchecked.

  BTW: The malicious Software Removal Tool is an important update to keep.  That shouldn't be what messed up your players, I've certainly never had that kind of problem with it.

  HTH
  Bill