Dear All

We are currently involved in an exercise involving relocation of a historic statue (human figure) onto a new plinth, and some debate has emerged regarding the appropriate dimensions for this plinth (it was removed from the original plinth many years ago, and there is no record of the dimensions of that plinth).

We have attempted to research traditional design principles for statue plinths … and have not been able to turn up any resources to date.  We are intrigued by this, because it would seem to us that there would likely have been some generally accepted ‘rules’ for designing statue plinths.

This is an enquiry to see if anybody knows of published design principles (probably 18th or 19th Century) for statue plinths – in particular, we are interested in issues relating to proportional dimensions (plinth dimensions vs statue dimensions).

I look forward to hearing from you all!!

David West

Executive Director

internationalconservationservices

53 Victoria Avenue