On 12/20/2009 3:20 PM, David West wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

If the building is 14 stories high, and the terracotta was all stacked into place, this means that there is nowhere for any stress relief.

At one time we did a selective remove/replace of flat tc units in an art deco construction (1920s) and what we found was that when we took out a unit of tc that the units around it would suddenly crack. I presume it was due to relief of stress. A structural engineer was never brought in to look at that problem. It was not the mechanics or sloppy removal work. The project required something like a doubling of the quantity of units to be fabricated than had been originally assumed.

][<en

--

To terminate puerile preservation prattling among pals and the uncoffee-ed, or to change your settings, go to: http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html