I received a lot of responses to my inquiry about problems taking vitamins
(especially iron and zinc)

First of all to answer a few questions some of you had...

My son who has the problem taking zinc does not have a deficiency with zinc
but was just going to take extra to strengthen his immune system for the
cold and flu season. Unfortunately he feels very nauseous with zinc and gets
stomach cramps. It took us a while to figure out that it was the zinc doing
it. Now I know it is.

I am supposed to take iron, as recommended by my doctor, because of low
Ferritan levels. It has been a challenge to do this to say the least!
Constant feeling of nausea that lasts a number of days till cleared out of
my system. Right now I am using something called Raw Iron (plant based)

I did receive lots of wonderful suggestions and I enjoy hearing and learning
from your personal experiences. It is very very helpful when people share
their knowledge and what works and does not work! Thank you!!!!

Here is the summary:

Aweful problems with taking zinc, even in combo products. Have given up
trying to take zinc. No need to take it unless deficient.
Takes Nature Made Vitamins.

Try low doses of vitamins at first and over time increase it to a level you
can tolerate.

For Iron can tolerate Colorado Biolabs Pro Ferrin (a heme iron) that you can
order on line. Did whole red blood cell transfusions 1x a month (using
dexferrum)

Many recommended taking iron with food.

Take vitamins with supper.

Recommends Shaklee vitamins.

Caution that liquid iron stains the teeth.

Use ferrous gluconate rather then ferrous sulfate. Easier on the stomach.

A number of people recommended Gummi-vites.

Take Reliv Classic and Innergized with Soysentials. This person sells these
and loves the products! (Shari.Reliv.com)

Use an iron skillet and cook with acidic things on the skillet, like
tomatoes. Also low cortisol can make a person nauseous.

Take vitamins after meals. Calcium can also make you nauseous.

Use 2-4 spoonfuls of Black Strap Molasses for iron. Also get iron from
spinach and green leafy vegies

Use Gummy Bear Vitamins

Use Flintstones Complete Chewable

Excess zinc can cause problems so don't take too much unless deficient and
then no more than 50 mg for no longer than 2-3 weeks.

Since getting diagnosed with Celiac has had problems taking vitamins.

Some people are sensitive to metals in general. Uses the NSI brand which is
a household brand for www.vitacost.com
(less expensive than most store brands even with shipping)

Use Ferrous Gluconate  from Paddock Labs.

Find foods that are naturally rich in zinc.

Recommends www.theresultscompany.ca

Might need probiotics. A good one is GF Pre-Digested (has a full spectrum of
Lactobacilli)

Take multi vitamins with iron... not iron supplement alone.

Drink a nettle tea infusion (dried leaves steeped over night). Very high in
iron!

One person gets sick from vitamins and gets heart palpitations.

Dr. Oz from Oprah Show said many get sick with vitamins. Take iron with food
or before going to bed.

One person loves Puritan.com (Have a technical support person and they can
get you the right product for your special needs)

Take after lunch or dinner because at night you have a mini fast and have
less food in your system. Takes Flintstones but also thinks there are
powdered vitamins that can be mixed as well.

Take with a full meal that includes protein! Take in the middle of the meal.

Recommends Kroger brand vitamins

In conclusion, I think my son is just going to give up on zinc. He may try
some children's chewables down the road but not right away as the "zinc
experience" was not much fun!

For myself, I am getting some labs done in a few weeks and will see how
things are going with the Ferritan. I am going to look over all your
recommendations and different possibilities on vitamin brands etc.
 I never had problems with vitamins before but now that I am gluten free I
seem to be more sensitive. Maybe that is because I am actually absorbing
something!??
It was nice to find that others have problems with vitamins too so I guess
my son and I are not alone in our experience! I was not sure if it was the
vitamins or what was going on!

Thanks everyone!

Lydia (and Micah)