The only Yaesu radio I ever had was the VX5-R, and I hated it.  I didn't like the configuration of the keypad which placed star zero pound in a vertical arrangement on the right column of the keypad.  It also didn't have very good coverage, and when I got on the VX5-R email list and suggested adding speech as an option, I took quite a pounding from list participants who didn't feel they should have to pay for something they wouldn't use.  They forgot to take note of the key word, "Option," which I made very clear.  But it was my thinking that if they could offer a chip for a pedometer they could offer a speech chip.
Harvey