Haruna,

So there's a Dadis Must Stay Movement heh? Bad news is what I say. Remember the July 22nd Movement? Remember the bus loads of so-called opinion leaders trekking to state house to ask Jammeh to stay? Can you guess who engineered both movement and treks? Well, therein lies your answer. Dadis WILL stay. And I am not at all surprised that he's started saying that the opposition "should keep quiet oitherwise they are going to lose everything." He is already taking ownership of the right to express opinions. There's something about power that makes only the most principled of men or women to relinquish it voluntarily once it is within their grasp. Senghor, Nyerere, Amadou Toumane Toure and Nelson Mandela are the closest to that ideal I have seenn in Africa in recent decades. Dadis? His eyes look quiet deterrmined if you ask me. Thanks for sharing.

Baba

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 02:10:52 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Mino and Karim, I am troubled by these statements from Interim President Dadis
To: [log in to unmask]

It appears that he was upset with the opposition parties raising alarm and disquiet about the Dadis Must Stay citizen movement. WHile I agree the opposition parties are being alarmist and intolerant of their fellow citizens' rights to form such movement and that they are being unfair to associate that with Dadis, I think Dadis and the CNDD ought to show sobriety and cease from making such statements. That will not advance the calm and serenity in La-Guinea at this time. Dadis can assert the rights of the citizens who formed the movement but it is ill-advised to create disquiet by suggesting this 11th hour ambiguity as to whether he will or wont contest the poll.

Dadis may indeed contest any poll when he resigns from the military but there are malignant conflicts of interest should he contest the polls at this time, in or out of uniform. In other words, as long as the interventionist CNDD is the steward of the polls, it is ill-advised for any member of the CNDD to contest any poll. Once a new government is voted into office and governs for one term, then any member of the CNDD, including Dadis may contest any elected office in La-Guinea having resigned from the Military.
That is my advice. Haruna. This article courtesy of BBC News.

Guinea leader 'may contest poll'

Capt Camara said his critics did not understand democracy
The army officer who seized power in a coup in Guinea has refused to rule out standing for president - despite an earlier promise he would not.
Capt Moussa Dadis Camara told the AFP news agency that nobody could stop him from standing if he wanted to.
It came after the opposition had urged people to resist any attempts by the coup leader to stay in power.
He took power last December after the country's president died and vowed to stand down after a transitional phase.
In recent weeks he announced an election would be held in January 2010.
In the build-up to the announcement there had been speculation that he intended to run for election.

 I have still not made up my mind so they should keep quiet, otherwise they are going to lose everything

Capt Camara
Capt Camara's supporters even formed a group called Dadis Must Stay backing his right to stand.
But this weekend opposition groups hit back with their own campaign calling on him to step down when elections are held.
They issued a statement urging people to reject what they called his "confiscation of power".
In response, Capt Camara told AFP the "pompous attitude" of the opposition leaders proved they were not ready to govern the country.
"They are not really on top of things and no longer know which way to turn," he said.
"I have still not made up my mind so they should keep quiet, otherwise they are going to lose everything."
He said his opponents "don't understand anything about democracy".
"I have nothing more to say, except that I might or might not stand. No-one can stop me," he said.
Capt Camara's rule has been characterised by eccentric displays of power - such as forcing members of the elite presidential guard to beg for forgiveness on national TV after they roughed up a veteran officer.
Several former aides and officials have been accused of corruption and links to the drugs trade, including the son of former President Lansana Conte, who was shown confessing on TV to smuggling cocaine.