Haruna,
         Your commentaries on this  short story is very, very, interesting.
For one thing it is a story; and as a  story teller, there is a literary
device used in story telling called the  'Omnipotent third person narrator',
in which the storyteller tries to get into  the heads of the characters
portrayed and convey their inner thoughts,  their feelings, their fears and their
desires to the reader. Such inner  thoughts, feelings, fears and desires,
may not necessarily be true, or  subscribe to any ideological dispositions
whether right or wrong, but  serve a much wider literary purpose of creating
conflict which is central to  stories of a fictitious genre.

       Secondly, this short story is lifted  from a much broader work and
has been summarize in its present form to fit  the description that has been
ascribed to it; and that is a short  story. In a more serious literary
setting, all the arguments you  have raised about the story, would have been
implicit rather than stated, and  can only be discern from the actions and
activities of the characters. You  have also discounted a very important literary
device, dialogue, which has been  used in this short story as irrelevant
and unnecessary, just because it doesn't  fit into all the complicated
postulations and ideological leanings to  which you are sympathetic. The Short
Story could also have been written in  another literary setting in which less
prose and more dialogue is used. In  that instant would you still discount the
dialogues as unnecessary?

     I will not hold you to it, but what you did with  my Short Story is to
infer motives into it. It is just like picking a book the  contents of
which you are very familiar with, and because you disagree with some  of the
assertions in the book started highlighting the areas in which you  disagree,
and then challenge the author on those assumptions. But the point  is, as a
literary artist you can cook anything in your head, whether it is true  or
not; you can raise any arguments in your narrative whether it is ideological
or not; but the fact remains that you are doing all these things from  the
point of view of the characters who are portrayed in the  narration. You
cannot be held captives to any of the things they say or argued.  I guess that
is why it is fictitious.

     Anyway, it was nice to read you commentaries,  and as always I enjoy
reading you. You would not believe it, but sometimes you  make my day when I
read some of your postings and my children would hear me  laughing aloud and
wonders what has gone over my head.

    Rene
steps!
=JulystepsfooterNO115)