From: The listserv where the buildings do the talking [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Walsh
Sent: Saturday, January 10, 2009 2:37 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BP] oh boy will you be stucco

“We can look at a masons work to see if its good how in the hell can I look at a lab 's work and see if its good "

Py, I’ll give a quick answer.  I think judging a mason and a lab are really not that different.

1)       Instead of just asking for a mortar analysis decide what kind of questions you have.  Ask all of those things you mentioned (e.g.; can you identify hot-mixed tabby and bull’s blood?).  If two labs answer your questions differently than challenge them on each other’s answers.

2)       Ask for a sample report from a few labs.  Compare the quality and decide who gives you the level of information you’re looking for.  I’m always ready to provide a sample of our work and even volunteer it when I hear the potential client is uncertain about what they’re purchasing.

3)       Look for transparency.  If the report says the mortar is a portland lime with a 1 : 2 : 8 ratio, look to see if they explain how they determined it was a portland lime and what calculations they used to come up with the ratio.  Answers shouldn’t magically appear without supporting information.  You’re paying for the analysis and you have a right to know what you’re paying for.  It may sound like mumbo-jumbo to the general reader but it makes the lab accountable as their work can always be checked by another lab.

Granted it ain’t foolproof but neither is choosing a mason no matter how good his mock-up looks.  As for the cesspool, I’m usually asked to put on my waders and ferret out the masonry cement jockeys once their mortar starts falling out of the joints.

John